HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV79882
Name:Gilbrook Cottages, Woodbury


Row of three cottages, 16th century or possibly earlier, with later alterations.


Grid Reference:SY 008 870
Map Sheet:SY08NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWoodbury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWOODBURY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 88620

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TERRACE (XVI - 1501 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 112 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed cruck recorded at 2 Gilbrook Cottages.

Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Woodbury, 5 (Report - non-specific). SDV347110.

Gilbrook Cottages is an updated range of 17th century cottages close to the heart of the village. Other details: Maps, photograph.

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Row of three cottages. Early 16th century or earlier, with later alterations. Roughcast cob on stone footings; gabled end roof. three-room, baffle-entry plan, the higher end to the right of original entrance, with a barn extension, possibly of the 17th century, at the service end. The house or part of it was open to the roof originally, for it is reported to be smoke-blackened (see reference). The axial stack served both service end and hall, with side oven to the service-end fireplace. Newel stair to the rear (i.e. opposite entrance). Two storeys. Front: nine window range, the casement windows all late 20th century. Two of the first floor windows under eyebrow eaves; seven windows to ground floor, with a late 20th century bay window to the extreme left. Rear extensions of the 19th and 20th century. Interior: the former barn (No.3) with straight roof principals. No.2 (service end); jointed cruck visible in upper room with trenched purlins; chamfered lintel to first floor fireplace. No.1 (not inspected internally) with a stopped chamfered cross ceiling beam. Reference: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon (1981), pp 243-4. The author restored the houses in 1965 when a plank and muntin screen from Govetts (now demolished) was used to replace a decayed screen between the hall and inner room.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 112.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106683 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347110Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Woodbury. East Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jun 18 2020 12:35PM