HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV79886
Name:The Beals, Greenway, Woodbury

Summary

Detached house, 17th century but possibly incorporating earlier work, with rear range which functioned as a school in the mid 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 010 870
Map Sheet:SY08NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWoodbury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWOODBURY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 88628

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII - 1601 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Woodbury, 7 (Report - non-specific). SDV347110.

Other details: Maps, photograph.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Detached house. 17th century possibly incorporating earlier work. Roughcast cob, stone footings, with some brick patching; gabled-end slate roof; the long rear wing with slate and corrugated iron gabled-end roof. Single-depth house with integral rear outshut; the through-passage lies between the two main rooms, which are of unequal length, and heated by rear stacks, one external, both with brick shafts. It is possible that this was a 17th century modification of an earlier three-room, through-passage plan house. Rear range, which functioned as a school in the mid 19th century; is heated by two axial stacks. Two storeys. Front: irregular two window range; to the left of the half-glazed and panelled door, is an early (i.e. circa 1800) 4:12:4 pane hornless tripartite sash window to each floor. To the right, the ground floor room and the chamber above are lit by exceptionally long windows of equal length, each with a single massive lintel; the first floor window embrasure contains two three-light casements flanking a blocked light; the ground floor window contains eight lights each of two panes. It has been plausibly argued that these rooms may have been textile workshops. Rear wing: pointed arched doorway and two three-light casement windows, leading to each floor of that part of the wing used as a school; other plain openings to the remainder. Interior: right-hand room with three cross ceiling beams, chamfered, the stops with bar and notch, left-hand room with axial ceiling beam with cyma recta moulded chamfer. Some 17th century panelled doors with HL hinges survive. Roof: not inspected: A-frame principals, collars and wall plate all pegged, sit on studding which constitutes the walling material above the level of the window lintels, (information from occupier). Reference: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981), pp 69, 182-4

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106687 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347110Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Woodbury. East Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 4 2011 9:45AM