HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV79998
Name:Threshing Barn, Ash Barton Farm

Summary

Former threshing barn, originally L-shaped, north-west wing demolished in late 19th or early 20th century and horse engine house added to north side.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 511 373
Map Sheet:SS53NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBraunton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRAUNTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • THRESHING BARN (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

L-shaped building with small additions on east, north and south sides, including possible semi-circular horse-engine house. Map object based on this Source.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Rectangular building with large square structure added to north side, semi-circular structure on south side no longer shown. Map object based on this Source.


Green, T. + Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R., 2010, Ash Barton, Braunton, Devon: Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Historic Building Recording, 10-13, 38-41, 44 (Report - non-specific). SDV347188.

A long, rectangular threshing barn constructed of clay bonded sandstone rubble, of two storeys with a ridged roof, gabled to the east and west with a single storey lean-to porch to left of centre on the south side, probably 17th century. A single storey gabled horse engine house with bull nosed brick quoins and jambs was added on the north side in the late 19th century. A high yard wall of clay-bonded sandstone rubble, similar to the barn, continues the south side wall of the barn to the west and then to the north. This structure was part of the barn prior to it being truncated in the late 19th century. These changes are shown on the Ordnance Survey First and Second Edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1889 and 1904. The interior threshing floor is off centre to the west between large full height doorways, with a substantial porch structure projecting off the south door. Other details: Figures 5-9, 12, 23-24.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV347188Report - non-specific: Green, T. + Humphreys, C. + Waterhouse, R.. 2010. Ash Barton, Braunton, Devon: Results of a Desk-Based Assessment and Historic Building Recording. Southwest Archaeology Report. 100427. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10-13, 38-41, 44.

Associated Monuments

MDV43132Related to: Ash Barton Barn, Braunton (Building)
MDV12476Related to: Ash Barton, Braunton (Building)
MDV79999Related to: Former Range of Farm Buildings at Ash Barton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5031 - Historic Building Recording at Ash Barton, Braunton

Date Last Edited:May 24 2011 8:35AM