HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80053
Name:Oxford House at 10 West Street, Ashburton

Summary

Oxford House at 10 West Street, Ashburton. Early 20th century shop with dwelling space above, now used as a dentists surgery. Two storey building on the corner of West Street and Kingsbridge Lane, built on the site of an earlier 16th or 17th century building in the heart of Ashburton's historic core.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 755 698
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 376162

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Constructed, XIX to XX - 1900 AD to 1950 AD (Between))
  • SHOP (Constructed, XX - 1904 AD to 1950 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

The property existing at this location in 1840 is numbered on the Tithe map as plot 1235 and the apportionment states the owners of the house were John Hancock and Susan Hannaford. The occupiers at this time were 'Charles Baker, James Connebeare and others'.


Germon, J. + Webb, P., 1993, Ashburton of yesteryear, 8, 16-17 (Monograph). SDV347269.

Double spread photograph of West Street features this property on the extreme right of the image. Although there is no date from the postcard it was featured on, as it includes cars with standard number plates, it is likely to post-date 1904, when these became mandatory.
Another scene of the shop as a tailor can be seen on page 8 during the flood of November 1929. It is less visible in this photograph but appears much the same as in the image referred to above.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

The modern mapping for this area is slightly confusing regarding the precise extent of the garden boundaries belonging to Oxford House. Also, part of the extension to the rear of the property doesn’t appear to be marked on the map. However a building survey accompanying a current planning application indicates that the area shown on the HER polygon is accurate.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Former house and shop, now dental surgery, dating to the mid-19th century with solid rendered walls and a slated roof, hipped to the right. There is a small rendered chimney on the left gable. Two storey building, three windows wide, with a two-window return to Kingsbridge Lane. The ground storey has a round-arched doorway with flanking pilasters and cornice on consoles; half-glazed door with moulded bottom panel. To the left of the door is a segmental-arched display window with flanking pilasters and plain triangular pediment. In the upper storey there are three round-arched windows, the left-hand two paired, with pilasters rising from a moulded sill-band; moulded archivolts with vermiculated keystones. Deep bracketed eaves-cornice. Return front in similar style. Included for group value. Other details: Listed Building number: 376162.


Brown, J., 2011, Oxford House, 10 West Street, Ashburton. Statement of significance, 10-31 (Report - Assessment). SDV347268.

Two storey building designed as a shop with lodgings above in the late 19th/early 20th century in the style of an Italianate villa. The strength of the exterior architectural detailing gives the building a distinct presence in the street, featuring many examples of the eclectic styles popular during this period. Although some alterations have been made, the interior of the building retains many original features and the plan form of the building is clearly visible. There are two main rooms on the ground floor, along with a modern kitchen extension, and four rooms on the first floor (which has been subject to a greater number of alterations than the ground floor).
This structure replaces an earlier building existing on the same site from at least the 16th or 17th century, which formed part of a group with numbers 12 and 14 West Street. The old 1880s and 1905 Ordnance Survey maps show these buildings to be a block together, but historical evidence presented in this report shows that the end property was actually set back slightly from numbers 12 and 14. This photograph apparently dated to 1904 shows the old gable-fronted 16th /17th century building on the site of Oxford House and the front elevations are not level. If this photograph is correct, then the existing building must post-date 1904. A second photograph, dated 1913, clearly shows Oxford House, which was at that time a gentleman’s tailor.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106855 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347268Report - Assessment: Brown, J.. 2011. Oxford House, 10 West Street, Ashburton. Statement of significance. Josephine Brown Ltd. A4 Comb Bound. 10-31.
SDV347269Monograph: Germon, J. + Webb, P.. 1993. Ashburton of yesteryear. Ashburton of yesteryear. A5 Paperback. 8, 16-17.

Associated Monuments

MDV90519Related to: 1 Kingsbridge Lane, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23274Related to: 11 West Street, the former London Inn, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23280Related to: 12 West Street, Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5069 - Assessment at 10 West Street, Ashburton

Date Last Edited:Feb 24 2017 2:07PM