HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80099
Name:Linhay at Great Gutton

Summary

Nineteenth century linhay with later alterations.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 861 025
Map Sheet:SS80SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishShobrooke
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHOBROOKE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (XIX - 1840 AD to 1889 AD (Between))

Full description

Thorpe, J., 2010, The Rear Linhay at Great Gutton, Shobrooke, Devon (Report - non-specific). SDV347286.

Somewhat altered linhay built against the north wall of the main block of the house. It covers the chimneystack of the present kitchen (former parlour). Terraced deeply into the hillslope. The rear revetment wall continues northwards a short distance before returning westward, suggesting that the present three-bay linhay formerly continued a further two bays to the north. The present north end was certainly not the north end of the originaly linhay. These two bays are now floored in timber decking and used as a patio with an oil tank in the south-east corner.
Some time after its erection the southern bay of the tallet was walled in, connected to the main block and made part of the domestic house. It is not clear when the rest of the linhay stopped use as a cattleshed. It has been a store within living memory.
It is show full-length on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map, but not on the circa 1840 Tithe Map.
The upper par of the rear wall is cob on low stone rubble footings. The other two exterior walls are mostly clad in 20th century corrugated iron bolted to primary and secondary timbers, although some earlier horizontal boarding remains in the middle bay of the west front under the eaves. The roof is corrugated iron.
The west front and truncated north gable-end are now clad with corrugated iron with a small section of earlier boarded cladding at the top of the centre bay. These comprise three bay-wide horizontal planks under the eaves. A door-sized opening survives at the west end of the north wall.
The ground level in front of the linhay appears to have been reduced since it was built. The posts supporting the front have been underbuilt, and now sit on a low rubblestone wall.
The general A-frame roof truss, with notched mortise and tenon at the apex and plain lap-jointed collar fixed with a peg or pegs and an iron spike can be found in Devon roofs from the late 17trh century onwards. The tusk-canon arrangement ussed to lock the crossbeams into the front posts is unknown to the author prior to the very early 18th century, and examples are known into the 19th century.
Map evidence suggests erection between circa 1840 and 1889. The old-fashioned carpentry would not be unexpected in a rural context.
See report for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106904 ]
SDV347286Report - non-specific: Thorpe, J.. 2010. The Rear Linhay at Great Gutton, Shobrooke, Devon. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K781. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 7 2011 2:24PM