HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80122
Name:The Great House, Tavistock

Summary

A late 16th or early 17th century house shown on the Wynne Estate Map of 1753, and referred to as 'The Great House'.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 480 745
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

O'Connor Thompson, S., 2006, Report on Archaeological Investigations at Land to Rear of The Ordulph Arms, Pym Street and Drake Road, Tavistock, Devon, 3, 12-15; figures 3, 5-6; plate 6; Appendix 1 (Report - Evaluation). SDV347327.

The Wynne Estate Map of 1753 shows a large building within the development area, and detail from the field book refers to it as 'The Great House'. This is believed to have belonged to the Glanville family in the late 16th or early 17th century. In the early 19th century major changes to the layout and alignment of buildings took place, and much evidence for the earlier buildings was removed. During works to remove stone steps in the north-east corner of the car park to the rear of The Ordulph Arms, an earlier wall was partially revealed to the north of the 19th century terrace retaining wall. This was on a different alignment to the 19th century walls revealed in Trenches 1 and 2, and corresponded to that of the building shown on the 18th century estate map. During the excavation of Trench 5, to the north of Trench 2, masonry was encountered which was probably part of this wall. Map object based on this Source.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Map object based on this Source.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

The Ordulph Arms (formerly Sir Francis Drake Public House) is a mid 19th century building erected on or near the site of the "Great House" the 16th century town house of the Glanvilles.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347327Report - Evaluation: O'Connor Thompson, S.. 2006. Report on Archaeological Investigations at Land to Rear of The Ordulph Arms, Pym Street and Drake Road, Tavistock, Devon. A4 stapled + Digital. 3, 12-15; figures 3, 5-6; plate 6; Appendix 1.

Associated Monuments

MDV80124Related to: Carved Stone by Steps to Rear of The Ordulph Arms (Monument)
MDV23136Related to: Ordulph Arms, Pym Street, Tavistock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5090 - Archaeological Monitoring on Land to the Rear of The Ordulph Arms, Tavistock

Date Last Edited:Oct 26 2012 8:59AM