HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV802
Name:36 Pilton Street, Pilton, Barnstaple

Summary

Early 17th century house with early 18th century refurbishment. Formerly a single dwelling with number 37. Remarkably complete interior with a wealth of historic features.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 556 340
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST PILTON
Ecclesiastical ParishPILTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/105

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVI - 1501 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Oliver, B. W., 1917, The early Seventeenth-Century Plaster Ceilings of Barnstaple, 191, Plate 1 (Article in Serial). SDV342394.

Number 36 Pilton Street, single rib plaster ceiling. Form of design is based on the square set anglewise; all the ribs are straight with the exception of those carried through the small squares, these being bent into ogee form to fill space in angle of room. Cast ornament used with two types of spray. Two forms of paterae employed: one a Tudor rose and the other a daisy in a ring surrounded by foliage forming a square. Small cone-shaped bosses set over the principal crossings of the ribs with little mouse-eared leaves. On ground floor.


Lomas, J., 1967, The Old doors and Doorways of Barnstaple, 42 (Article in Serial). SDV85818.

Early Tudor door incorporated in a contemporary stud screen on ground floor. Disfigured with modern paintwork. 12 panelled. True example of 16th century craftsmanship comparable to the old Barnstaple guildhall door now preserved in St. Ann's Museum.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

House, early 17th century with early 18th century refurbishment. Formerly a single dwelling with No.37 adjoining to the north, but the two buildings are said to have been rented and treated separately until 1711. Owned by the Pilton United Charities. Mass wall construction, front elevation roughcast, rear elevation partly slate-hung; left end and rear stack with brick shafts; cast-iron rainwater goods. L-plan. Front block two rooms wide with a cross passage: principal heated room to left of passage. Two unheated service rooms to right, one behind the other, framed stair to rear of service rooms. Rear left wing gives another large heated room, presumably the kitchen. two storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window range with moulded eaves brackets. Fine 17th century ovolo-moulded, stopped door frame to right of centre: front door with six fielded panels. three ground-floor 18th- or 19th century 16-pane sash windows, three first-floor 12-pane sash windows. Rear wing has one ground- and one first-floor 5-light 17th century casement, the mullions chamfered on the inside and ovolo-moulded on the exterior. 17th century door frame to rear of passage with 17th century door with cover strips.
Interior: remarkably complete with a wealth of historic features. Passage flanked by (painted) oak plank-and-muntin screens with scroll stops; 17th century doorways into all ground-floor rooms. Ground floor front right has complete single rib ceiling, enriched with sprays, original stair has turned balusters and newel posts. First floor has set of 17th century ovolo-moulded door-frames into upper rooms. First-floor right-hand room has a 17th century decorated plaster frieze, left-hand room has an early 18th century eared chimneypiece with a triglyph frieze.
Historical Note: the earliest documentation for the house, mentioned by Reed, is in a Trust Deed of 1577 in which several Pilton charities were merged. It was rented to a succession of wealthy clothiers. From 1711 to 1845 it was rented out as one dwelling with No.37

Sources / Further Reading

SDV342394Article in Serial: Oliver, B. W.. 1917. The early Seventeenth-Century Plaster Ceilings of Barnstaple. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 49. A5 Hardback. 191, Plate 1.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107000 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV85818Article in Serial: Lomas, J.. 1967. The Old doors and Doorways of Barnstaple. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 99. Paperback Volume. 42.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 18 2012 2:55PM