HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80260
Name:The Sentry, Moretonhampstead

Summary

Playing fields known as 'The Sentry', a contraction of 'Sanctuary'; an indication of its original association with the Church. Used for recreational purposes by local residents; this is one of the most peaceful areas of open space in the town.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 756 860
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2011 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Sentry' marked on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map.


Friend, G., 1989, Memories of Moretonhampstead, 14 (Monograph). SDV347146.

The Sentry, or Sanctuary field, once part of the glebe lands, thought to have been one of the ancient sanctuaries of the country, with the privileges and amenities attached. In 1867, rector William Courtenay Clack disputed the right of inhabitants to use the area and tried to prevent access, blocking up some of the existing footpaths. There was outcry from locals and as a protest they avoided the church as part of the dispute, which was eventually solved, allowing the residents recreational use of the area. Another rector Stanley Dawes Dewey in 1907 tried to lay claim to the area and erected barbed-wire fencing to restrict access. Once again this was not successful.
The area was used extensively for cricket games and by children; in 1934 a section was levelled and a play area was provided. An oak tree was planted on 15 February 1967 to commemorate Sir Winston Churchill.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


2011, Moretonhampstead (Website). SDV347429.

Playing fields known as 'The Sentry'; a contraction of 'Sanctuary', indicating its original association with the Church. Relations between past rectors and local residents concerning the access to and use of this area have at times been stormy. One of the most peaceful open areas in the town.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2011, Staff Training Day worksheet (Worksheet). SDV347337.

This field is of local interest and is an asset to the town as it provides important open green space for the community. Other details: Staff Training Day worksheet.


2011, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV347428.

Two photographs showing the granite gateposts around the access point to The Sentry from Cross Street by the Almshouses and another of the view, looking approximately north-eastwards. Other details: P:\Archaeology\HER.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107062 ]
SDV347146Monograph: Friend, G.. 1989. Memories of Moretonhampstead. Memories of Moretonhampstead. A4 Hardback. 14.
SDV347337Worksheet: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2011. Staff Training Day worksheet. Worksheet. A5 Stapled.
SDV347428Photograph: 2011. Digital.
SDV347429Website: 2011. Moretonhampstead. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV8283Related to: St. Andrew's Parish Church, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5095 - Moretonhampstead assessment training day

Date Last Edited:Jul 4 2011 12:45PM