HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV80390
Name:Yarner Barn, Dartington


Probable 17th century barn converted into a house in the early 1930s for the Dartington Hall estate for the use of the Elmhursts.


Grid Reference:SX 781 619
Map Sheet:SX76SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishDARTINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 101020

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (XVII to XX - 1601 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building depicted on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Yarner Barn. Barn converted into a house. Probably 17th century, converted into a house in 1931 to 1932 Rex Gardner and R Heming for the Dartington Hall estate for the use of P Elmhurst the brother of L K Elmhurst. Rendered local limestone rubble. Thatched roof, hipped at right hand end and half-hipped at left hand end, and with pronounced camber to the ridge and slightly eyebrowed eaves. The rear wing has a slate hipped roof with an axial ridge stack with a rendered shaft and lowered concrete pot rising from the back wall of the main building.
Plan: Originally a barn on an east-west axis, the left hand east end built into the hillside with access at the first floor level in the left end wall to the barn; below the barn there was probably originally a shippon. In 1931 to 32 the whole building was converted into a house and extended. The barn entrance was retained as the main entrance of the higher left hand end giving access to an entrance hall which leads to the principal living room on the first floor while the bedrooms are on the ground floor and an integral tool shed under the entrance hall. The extension consists of a rear service wing; the ground floor a garage and the first floor a kitchen and servants flat. The garage had since been converted to the kitchen.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical range with 4 first floor windows and 2 doorways and 4 ground floor windows not aligned under the first floor windows. 20th century 2 and 3-light metal-frame casements with leaded panes and slate cills. Doorway slightly to right of centre with 20th century metal frame glazed double doors and slated canopy and a narrow doorway to left to the toolshed with a plank glazed door. At the left hand end approached from higher ground level a wide first floor doorway with rough timber lintel and 20th century double doors. At the right hand of the rear wall a circa early 17th century wooden 4-light chamfered mullion window with mason's mitres, 2 of the mullions are missing. At the centre of the back a wide hipped roof wing with steps in the right hand angle giving access to the first floor doorway. Interior: The entrance hall is lined in veneered flush panelling and the wide doorway into the principal first floor room has double folding doors which slide into the walls on either side. At the rear east end of this large first floor room a slightly raised dais as in a great hall. At the back of this room a wide low fireplace with splayed jambs, a cambered concrete lintel and a chamfered timber shelf on stone corbels. Roof: 7 bays at the right hand end have trusses with collars halved and pegged to the faces of the principals, the apexes halved and lapped. At the west end there is one earlier cloud truss with a morticed collar and threaded purlins and threaded diagonal ridge-piece. There is a hip cruck at the west end, its foot cut off over the entrance doorway. The feet of all the other trusses are straight and set in the wall tops. Date listed: 9th February 1961.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107197 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV80387Part of: Yarner Farm, Dartington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 15 2011 12:21PM