HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80529
Name:Walkhampton Mill, Walkhampton

Summary

The wheelwright's shop at Walkhamton Mill or Walkham Mill was established in 1845 and remained in production until the late 20th century. Although now partially house converted it nevertheless represents a unique survival of a water-powered rural workshop. The ground floor still retains some of the original specialist machines and overhead shafts and pulleys driven by a waterwheel. The latter is said to date from 1845.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 532 696
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92874

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WHEELWRIGHTS WORKSHOP (Established, XIX - 1845 AD to 1845 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Buildings shown on 19th century map.


Watts, M., 1998, The Wheelwright's Shop, Walkhampton (Report - Survey). SDV347625.

The wheelwright's shop at Walkhampton was established in 1845 using power from a waterwheel. The main building contains the machine shop with a loft over and is a two storey stone rubble structure under a slated gable roof. The loft was formerly used for the assembly and finishing carts. There was formerly a forge immediately to the east and a large timber framed structure clad with corrugated iron to the west. These two buildings have now been demolished and the surrounding area developed for housing. The main machine shop building survives as a building 12 metres north to south and 7 metres east to west with a roof of six bays supported on softwood trusses. The water supply comes from a tributary of the River Walkham and the overshot waterwheel is supplied by a long timber launder running west from the village bridge. The power to the majority of the machines in the main shop has been partly superseded by individual electric motors. The machines include saws, lathes and drilling machines as well as numerous hand tools.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

'Walkhampton Mill' shown on modern mapping. Map object based on this Source.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Walkham Mill. Wheelwright's shop. Circa mid C19, extended in C20. Stone rubble walls. Gable ended corrugated iron roof. Plan: The original building is rectangular on plan consisting of one large workshop. The water wheel which drives the machinery is detached from the building and adjoined the right-hand wall at the rear. In the late C19 the building began to be extended by a blacksmith's'shop built on along the left-hand wall and in the C20 a large addition was made at the right-hand side constructed of corrugated sheeting. Exterior: 2 storeys. The entrance is in the gable end which has a wide opening on both ground and 1st floors and a small window below the gable. Lean-to addition of former blacksmith's shop against left-hand wall with doorway in its gable end. Extensive C20 corrugated addition to right. The overshot water wheel at the rear is served by wooden launders but is now enclosed. Interior: The gearing and shafts driven by the wheel still survive. In situ and are functional. This is an unusual example of a purpose built wheelwright's shop still performing its original function and with its original source of power still operative.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Map object based on this source.


Watts, M., July 2013, Walkham Mill, Walkhampton, Devon. Historic Building Appraisal (Report - Survey). SDV352674.

The wheelwright's shop at Walkhampton represents a unique survival of a water-powered rural workshop. The ground floor of the main, stone-built building was the machine whop with some machines belt-driven from overhead shafting by the waterwheel. Immediately east of the machine shop was a forge and there was also a large shed, clad with corrugated iron on the west side which enclosed the waterwheel and was used for sawing large timbers, assembly and storage. The first floor of the main building was also used for storage. The large shed was removed and the area to the north and west developed for housing in 1986. The first floor of the workshop was converted to domestic use in 1998-9. The ground floor was also partially modernised but still contains some of the original specialist wheelwrighting machines and overhead shafts and pulleys. The waterwheel is said to date from the establishment of the wheelwright’s shop by Philip Veale in 1845. It has not been run for some time but appears relatively stable. The launder, which carried water from the stream alongside the buildings to the top of the waterwheel, is unusually long, about 37 metres in length. Much of its upstream end, however, has been removed recently as a result of decay and flood damage. Parts of the stream walling and the launder supports have also suffered decay, exacerbated by silt and debris build up along the stream.
Despite surrounding housing development and the partial conversion of the wheelwright’s shop enough remains, including machinery within the ground floor workshop and the waterwheel with a potentially live water supply, to make its continued survival and retention important.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347625Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 1998. The Wheelwright's Shop, Walkhampton. Dartmoor National Park Authority Report. A3 Grip Bound.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV352674Report - Survey: Watts, M.. July 2013. Walkham Mill, Walkhampton, Devon. Historic Building Appraisal. Watts, M.. 87/2013. A4 Comb Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV49457Related to: Walkhampton Inn, Walkhampton (Building)
MDV80528Related to: Walkhampton Mill Leat, Walkhampton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5190 - Historic Building Survey of the Wheelwrights Workshop, Walkhampton
  • EDV6296 - Historic Building Appraisal of Walkham Mill, Walkhamton

Date Last Edited:Apr 12 2016 11:24AM