HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80552
Name:Quaker burial ground at Clampitt Farm, Christow

Summary

Documentary evidence of a Quaker burial ground in a field to the south of Clampitt Farm, Christow. Apparently may contain at least 20 bodies, interred between around 1687 and 1732.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 811 843
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CEMETERY (XVII to XVIII - 1667 AD to 1740 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

Tithe Map shows the enclosed area in the south-western corner of the field 876 south of Clampitt used as a Quaker burial ground..


Dymond, F. W., 1899, Society of Friends Trust Property within the County of Devon (Monograph). SDV347642.

Record of Quaker meetings at Clampitt Farm, in the farmhouse kitchen for around 70 years. Elias Tuckett (or ‘Elies Tockett’) was the first to be buried in the Clampitt graveyard on 03/09/1687. Many burials were recorded here and the graveyard was enclosed with fences and separated from the adjacent land but never legally transferred to the Friends or claimed as their own. The last registered burial here was in 1732 but it is quite possible that many interments were never registered.
William Addems, recently owner of Clampitt identified the location of the grave yard, in a corner of one of the fields which on the Ordnance Survey map (edition unknown) is marked with number 28. Apparently the fence had become most dilapidated and was removed completely around 50 years previously. Addems had seen at least 20 graves uncovered by workmen a few years previously. Other details: Copy in the Clampitt Farm report.


2004, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV347643.

Image of a plaque at Clampitt farm 'Society of Friends Quakers. Clampitt Burial Ground. 1674-1740'. Other details: Included in the Clampitt Farm report.


Travers, A., Feb 2004, Clampitt Farm, Christow (Report - Assessment). SDV347641.

By 1669 there was a Quaker community at Clampitt, one of whom was Ellis (or Elias) Tuckett who was apparently jailed for being a Quaker, although this is unconfirmed. He is said to have been the first to be buried at Clampitt when he died in 1687. The last registered burial at Clampitt took place in 1732. After meetings for worship taking place in the farmhouse kitchen there for around 70 years, according to documentary sources, the Tuckett family moved away, ending the Quaker association with the farm.
In 1897 the farm was compulsory purchased by the Corporation of Torquay after concerns in Torquay over water contamination. Apparently the old farmhouse was still standing in 1899 and a recent owner William Addems pointed out the location of the Quaker burial ground, stating that at least 20 graves had been noted there when workmen dug up a quantity of human bones, which were then re-interred. It was around this time that the farmhouse at Clampitt was demolished.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV347641Report - Assessment: Travers, A.. Feb 2004. Clampitt Farm, Christow. A4 Bound.
SDV347642Monograph: Dymond, F. W.. 1899. Society of Friends Trust Property within the County of Devon. Society of Friends Trust Property within the County of Devon. A4 Unbound.
SDV347643Photograph: 2004. A4 Unbound.

Associated Monuments

MDV77370Related to: Clampitt farmstead, Christow (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 9 2011 3:48PM