HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80566
Name:Linhays at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton

Summary

Two L-shaped ranges of linhays at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton; one in the north yard and the other in the south yard. The later are older and are depicted on the 1840 Tithe Map. The north yard linhays date to the late 19th century. All are roofed in corrugated iron but may originally have been thatched.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 762 911
Map Sheet:SX79SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDrewsteignton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDREWSTEIGNTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (XIX to XXI - 1840 AD to 2011 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

The 1840 Tithe Map showing Coombe Hall farm depicts the south yard linhays which pre-date those to the north.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

North yard linhays depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (approximately 1880s in date).


Thorp, J. + Horton, D., 2007, The farm buildings at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton, 18-20, 28-30 (Report - Assessment). SDV347654.

The north yard linhays date to the 1860s or 1870s and were built as an L-plan range with outer cob walls. The east linhay is nine-bays long and the north is nine-bays with a corner bay in the north-east, where the two meet. Two south bays have been enclosed in the 20th century but the remainder are open. The front elevations of both linhays have open tallets (open-fronted hay lofts) and bays divided by quarried granite posts, most of which survive (two have been replaced by timber posts and concrete blocks).
The south yard linhays are also in an L-plan but are older in date and can be seen on the Tithe Map of approximately 1840. The south range pre-dates the east range and is seven bays long (east is eight bays). Partly enclosed at ground level with 20th century boarded cladding, corrugated iron, plank doors etc, but were originally open at the front.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107362 ]
SDV347654Report - Assessment: Thorp, J. + Horton, D.. 2007. The farm buildings at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K748. A4 Comb Bound. 18-20, 28-30.

Associated Monuments

MDV15732Part of: Coombe Hall Farm, Drewsteignton (Monument)
MDV80567Related to: Barns at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton (Building)
MDV80564Related to: Pigsties at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton (Building)
MDV80565Related to: Stable at Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5218 - Assessment of farm buildings, Coombe Hall, Drewsteignton

Date Last Edited:Aug 12 2011 9:44AM