HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80748
Name:Taw River Inn, Sticklepath

Summary

Taw River Inn. 16th century with 17th century alterations. Rendered stone rubble walls, with a gable-ended thatch roof. Tall rendered stone axial stack with dripmoulds at the base, granite ashlar stack at right gable end with moulded cap.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 642 941
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSampford Courtenay
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSAMPFORD COURTENAY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 93096

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Constructed, XV to XVII - 1500 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

‘Inn’ depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Taw River Inn. 16th century with l7th century alterations. Rendered stone rubble walls, with a gable-ended thatch roof. Tall rendered stone axial stack with dripmoulds at the base, granite ashlar stack at right gable end with moulded cap.
Plan: three-room and through passage plan, lower end to the right heated by gable end fireplace. Hall stack backs onto the passage. Originally with central hearth and open to the roof at least over hall. Open hall probably retained until early - mid l7th century after insertion of stack. Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical four-window front of late 19th century four-pane sashes apart from two right-hand windows - 16-pane early 19th century sash to the first floor with 19th century two-light casement below. Wide 19th century panelled door to passage right of centre. Set in the wall on the first floor are two granite date-stones, the left-hand one inscribed 'WH 1660' the right-hand one (in the shape of a shield) 'WH 1694'. (Description 1967) Other details: LB UID: 93096.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107538 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV80742Related to: Sunnyside Cottage, Sticklepath (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 12:23PM