HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80776
Name:Farm building 30 meters east of farmhouse, Meavy Barton

Summary

Late 16th century farmbuildings approximately 30 metres east of farmhouse, Meavy Barton. 19th century addition and alterations. Stone rubble walls. Corrugated iron roof gabled at right-hand end and hipped at left-hand end. Long rectangular plan.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 540 672
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92721

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARM BUILDING (Constructed, XVI - 1570 AD to 1599 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Buildings depicted on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Farmbuildings approximately 30 metres to east of farmhouse, Meavy Barton. Circa late 16th century with 19th century addition and alterations. Stone rubble walls. Corrugated iron roof gabled at right-hand end and hipped at left-hand end. Long rectangular plan. The buildings, all attached, are in three distinct blocks, the two smaller outer end sections show early features and are probably contemporary while from the evidence of straight joints the central section is later, probably 19th century, although it may be a rebuild. Both early blocks have 1-room plan, their original function is unclear but it might have been stabling and granary. The central section is a shippon and the other two were also converted to this probably in 19th century. Two storeys.
Asymmetrical front with original parts to left and right. The left-hand section has a depressed 2-centred chamfered granite doorway on the ground floor flanked by a square granite framed light to its right and a later window opening to its left. Above it is a loading doorway. The central section has a doorway at the centre on both floors with two flanking windows on the ground floor and slits with granite jambs on the 1st floor. The ground floor openings have segmental brick arches. The right-hand section has a roundheaded chamfered granite doorway to the right on the ground floor with a buttress to its left. Beyond that is a 2-light chamfered granite mullion window. Above the window is a chamfered granite doorway with cambered head with a granite framed slit to either side. 20th century lean-to built at the front to the right of centre. At the rear of the left-hand section is a 2-light blocked granite mullion window partially obscured by the higher ground level (Listed 1987). Other details: LB UID: 92721.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107564 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV77830Part of: Meavy Barton farm, Meavy (Monument)
MDV80775Related to: Barn 10 meters north-east of farmhouse, Meavy Barton (Building)
MDV2298Related to: Meavy Barton Farmhouse (Building)
MDV80774Related to: Outbuilding 5 meters north of Meavy Barton farmhouse (Building)
MDV80777Related to: Pigsties south-east of farmhouse, Meavy Barton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 12:31PM