HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80782
Name:Church Hall (former school), North Brentor

Summary

National School constructed in 1832. Was used as a school until 1955, later became a church hall; since 2004 it has been a private residence. School closed for a year in 1890 when it's head teacher left to take a post at the newly built Blackdown School, half a mile away. After Blackdown closed in 1918, most of the remaining pupils came to Brentor.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 482 814
Map Sheet:SX48SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBrentor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAMERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92291

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • NATIONAL SCHOOL (Constructed, XIX to XX - 1832 AD to 1955 AD (Between))
  • CHURCH HALL (Constructed, XX to XXI - 1955 AD to 2004 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map; 1544 on apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'School' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 34-7 (Monograph). SDV359884.

In 1885, Brentor School unwillingly took in the children from Blackdown (from Mary Tavy parish), but they were all expelled shortly after due to plotting by the Brentor secretary. In 1890, the headmistress took the post at the newly constructed Blackdown school, leaving Brentor without a teacher. The school closed down for a year and most of the pupils ended up at Blackdown School temporarily.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Building depicted on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

National school in use as church hall. 1832, extended to rear circa late 19th century. Stone rubble with stone dressings and asbestos slate roof hipped at ends. Re-used 17th century chimney cap on chimney of rear addition. Rectangular single-storey building with modest Tudor style details.
Three-bay symmetrical front with large central gabled porch with stone plaque in gable inscribed "Parochial school erected by the National School Society and W. Rundel esq., of Bellgrove, 1832". Deep eaves. Moulded Tudor arched doorway with 2-leaf arched door with strap hinges. To left and right a 2-light Tudor arched window, 4-panes per light, in chamfered stone architrave. The north end has a 3-light gabled Tudor arched window with intersecting glazing bars in the head. A similar window in the south end has been converted into a door.
Interior. Undivided 5-bay schoolroom with contemporary scissor brace roof trusses. Simple plank dado. Brentor school closed in 1955. Roger R. Sellman, Devon Village Schools (1967) (Listed 1985). Other details: LB UID: 92291.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2011, North Brentor Conservation Area Character Appraisal, 16 (Report - Assessment). SDV356623.

Former School: Grade II. This is a fine example of a purpose-built National school. It is attractively
proportioned and well constructed, with understated Tudor details. After it ceased to operate as a school it became the church hall.


2014-2016, Brentor Village website, Accessed 14/11/2016 (Website). SDV357056.

A National School was opened in 1832. This church school continued to serve the village until 1955 when it was closed and was converted into the Church Hall. The building was sold in 2004 and converted into a private dwelling.
The eastern parish boundary between Mary Tavy & Brentor ran along the River Burn and there was controversy over which parish should provide schooling for the children living on Blackdown. The Mary Tavy board eventually funded the building of West Blackdown School in 1890. It had difficulties from the start and the first school mistress Annie Gerry (1890 to 1901) received the lowest salary of any school in Devon. West Blackdown School closed in 1918.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107570 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV356623Report - Assessment: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2011. North Brentor Conservation Area Character Appraisal. Dartmoor National Park Authority Report. Digital. 16.
SDV357056Website: 2014-2016. Brentor Village website. http://www.brentorvillage.org/?page_id=125. Website. Accessed 14/11/2016.
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 34-7.

Associated Monuments

MDV1661Related to: Christ Church, North Brentor (Building)
MDV117330Related to: Former school at West Blackdown (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 14 2016 12:47PM