HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV808
Name:Lion Mills or Bradiford Mill, Barnstaple


There has been a mill here since at least the 14th century. The present building was built in 1876 and is described in 1891 as having four pairs of mill stones. It was converted to a roller mill after a fire in 1893. It ceased milling in the early 20th century, becoming Bradiford Engineering Works in 1920.


Grid Reference:SS 550 344
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST PILTON
Ecclesiastical ParishPILTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/101

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XIV to XIX - 1301 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

NDAS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77488.

The lion works of the hobart manufacturing company ltd. , situated near bradiford bridge, was formerly lion mills - a water-powered corn mill. Erected in 1876; four storeys; originally five pairs of stones. When damaged by fire in 1893, the mill had been converted to roller-grinding and was powered by a water-wheel and a turbine with a gas engine in reserve. In 1920 it became bradiford engineering works, but a map of 1932 shows the mill as disused. Buildings have also been used as an ice factory.1974 (ndas) lion mill, pilton. The waterwheel and machinery have gone. A plaque on the building records, 'erected by george davey 1876'. The leat that powered this mill was fed from bradiford water just below tutshill woods. The mill, which suffered from fire in 1893, had been converted to roller-grinding and was powered by a waterwheel and a turbine with a gas engine in reserve. Iron water-wheels were advertised for sale in the north devon journal of 1893. Later in 1920, it became bradiford engineering works, but a 1932 map shows it as disused (ndas).

NDAS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77489.

1989 (ndas) it was known as both brush mill and lion mill. There were two buildings, the furthest from the main road was being used as an ice factory at one time (ndas).

1932/1938, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77491.

Lion mills (disused) on 6" (1932/1938) (os).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77494.

Bone, m. /barnstaple's industrial archaeology/(1973)31.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77495.

Ndas/north devon watermills/(1989)45.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77496.

Des=watermills in north devon 1994/(1995)71/in smr.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77497.

Des=os 6"(1932/193813nw.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77498.

Des=bodman, m. /water-powered sites in devon/(1998)/33 no.17/in smr.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77499.

Asi heritage consultants/leaderflush and shapland site, barnstaple: archaeological assessment/(september 2000)/in pf.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV77501.

Bodman,m. /watermills and other water-powered sites in devon/(september 2003)252/interim draft report in smr.

WATERMILLS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV18616.

Stands among odd-shaped barn conversions which were no-doubt connected to the mill. Building in good condition with industrial character preserved. Wheel was removed a few years ago, when it had disintegrated. No machinery remains, apart from the sluice gates. Now occupied by a glass company, with flats above. Leat, which also served anchor mills, runs behind the building at about first floor level. The sluice gates are still used to control the flow. Documentary evidence for lion cornmills being active in 1869. The mill was built in 1876. It suffered from fire in 1893, converted to roller grinding and was subsequently powered by a turbine, with a gas engine in reserve. In 1920 it became bradiford engineering works (watermills).

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Lion Mills (Corn) marked, comprising ranges of buildings around a broadly rectangular courtyard with another separate building, which is also possibly part of the complex, alongside the road. The leat runs along the north side of the buildings.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Mill marked as disused.

Ordnance Survey, 1953-1969, 1953-1969 National Grid OS A edition imperial (Cartographic). SDV352727.

Marked as works (Wks).

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Mill on this site since at least c14. 'lion mills' described in 1891 as a water-mill having four pairs of mill stones, fixed machinery, a cottage and stabling for 12 horses. After a fire in 1893 the mill was converted to roller-grinding (bodman).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV18616Migrated Record: WATERMILLS.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV352727Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1953-1969. 1953-1969 National Grid OS A edition imperial. Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV77488Migrated Record: NDAS.
SDV77489Migrated Record: NDAS.
SDV77491Migrated Record: 1932/1938.
SDV77494Migrated Record:
SDV77495Migrated Record:
SDV77496Migrated Record:
SDV77497Migrated Record:
SDV77498Migrated Record:
SDV77499Migrated Record:
SDV77501Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV68213Related to: Mill Leat to Halls, Lions and Bradiford Mills (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 28 2018 2:44PM