HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV80817
Name:19 East Street, Ashburton

Summary

Currently the National Westminster Bank, this building may date as far back as the 1600s, according to one source. Listing states it was built in 1891. Said to have been the original Golden Lion Inn (also owned by Nicholas Tripe) and closed as an inn in 1797, after the other Golden Lion had been open two years.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 756 699
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 376018

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN? (XVI to XVIII - 1600 AD? to 1797 AD (Between))
  • BANK (FINANCIAL) (XIX to XX - 1891 AD to 1950 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of National Heritage, 1992, Ashburton, 38 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337041.

Ashburton - East Street (north side) No.19 National Westminster Bank - GV II
Bank. Built in 1891. Granite front; ashlar in ground storey, coursed squared rubble above. Upper storey window surrounds and top cornice of limestone, probably Bath stone. Slated roof. Granite chimney on each side wall. Three storeys, four window front in an elaborated Georgian style.
Ground storey has at each end a round-arched doorway with triangular pediment on big fluted brackets, pushing up into second storey. Left-hand doorway has original 3-panelled double doors and brass bell-pull; right-hand doors altered in late 20th century. In centre, two windows flanked and separated by rusticated pilasters. Upper storeys have plain sash windows in moulded architraves with continued bracketed sills. Architraves in second storey are eared, with pulvinated friezes and alternating triangular and segmental pediments; architraves in third storey have keystones enriched with swags and scrolls. Top entablature with moulded cornice and blocking-course. In centre of latter a low pedestal buttressed with scrolls and inscribed ESTD. 1832.
This was originally the Devon and Cornwall Bank. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition): London: 1989-: 133).


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 54 (Monograph). SDV359976.

This building is said to date to the 1600s and was the original Golden Lion Inn, owned by Nicholas Tripe, who also built the Golden Lion further east down East Street; in 1795, there were two Golden Lions on East Street. This one closed in 1797 and is now the National Westminster Bank.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Bank is depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

No.19 East Street, Ashburton (National Westminster Bank). Built in 1891. Granite front; ashlar in ground storey, coursed squared rubble above. Upper storey window surrounds and top cornice of limestone, probably Bath stone. Slated roof. Granite chimney on each side wall. Three storeys, four window front in an elaborated Georgian style.
Ground storey has at each end a round-arched doorway with triangular pediment on big fluted brackets, pushing up into second storey. Left-hand doorway has original 3-panelled double doors and brass bell-pull; right-hand doors altered in late 20th century. In centre, two windows flanked and separated by rusticated pilasters. Upper storeys have plain sash windows in moulded architraves with continued bracketed sills. Architraves in second storey are eared, with pulvinated friezes and alternating triangular and segmental pediments; architraves in third storey have keystones enriched with swags and scrolls. Top entablature with moulded cornice and blocking-course. In centre of latter a low pedestal buttressed with scrolls and inscribed ESTD. 1832. This was originally the Devon and Cornwall Bank. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition): London: 1989-: 133). (Listed 1992). Other details: LB UID: 376018.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337041List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1992. Ashburton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 38.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #107606 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 54.

Associated Monuments

MDV80818Related to: 17 East Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV29220Related to: East Street, Ashburton (Monument)
MDV13600Related to: The Golden Lion, East Street Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7634 - Archaeological monitoring and recording at Bank House Stables (Ref: OA1429)

Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2018 4:06PM