HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8095
Name:Western gateway into St Michael's churchyard, Ilsington (previously school)

Summary

Gateway into churchyard with room built above. Used in the past as a school house but collapsed in 1639. Was rebuilt and serves as a war memorial. Features a stone figure of St Michael set within a niche on the right.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 785 761
Map Sheet:SX77NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishIlsington
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishILSINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77NE/47
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 439400

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (Early Medieval to XVII - 1066 AD to 1639 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SX77NE16 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV282861.

Site of medieval school and church yard gate (parish register 1639). Over the west gate of Ilsington churchyard there was a room anciently built and roofed with slate or shingle stone. This room was ten feet from the ground and 16 feet in length. It had ‘lately’ been converted into a school house for 30 boys but collapsed in September 1639.
A modern gateway with a room above has been re erected as a modern war memorial. The cottages on either side are of considerable antiquity.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Lychgate at west entrance to St Michael's Churchyard. 1908 by Thomas Henry Lyon. Granite rubble and timber framing, covered with roughcast in upper storey. Slated roof. Rendered chimneystack on right-hand gable wall, on front slope of roof. Consists of open ground storey with chamber above. On left side it is built up against the gable of St Michael's Cottages; on right side is a thick stone wall. Opening front and back flanked by thick roughcast columns without bases; simple granite capitals with round drops beneath each corner. In centre is a pair of wooden gates in a segmental-headed frame with open spandrels. Upper storey has canted bay window in each face. To right of west front is a niche containing a stone statue of St. Michael. Next to it is a slate panel inscribed 'Restored in 1977 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II'. To right of gate is a flight of granite steps leading to upper chamber. Under the gate are two stone tablets commemorating the head of 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars. Source: for name of architect, Mr Dick Wills of Narracombe Other details: LB UID: 439400.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV282861Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SX77NE16. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #107743 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV12439Related to: Gatehouse to Ilsington churchyard (Building)
MDV8049Related to: St. Michael's Cottages, Ilsington (previously Church House) (Building)
MDV8060Related to: St. Michael's Parish Church, Ilsington (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 8 2018 12:09PM