HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV81902
Name:Old Trifford Farmhouse, Widworthy


An interesting multi-phase house, dating from the early-mid 16th century farmhouse with major late 16th and 17th century improvements, including a mid 17th century parlour crosswing and some 19th century alterations. At the time of the listing the house had been empty for many years and had seen no 20th century improvements.


Grid Reference:SY 225 992
Map Sheet:SY29NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWidworthy
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDWORTHY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SY29NW12
  • Pastscape: 897694

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Historic England, 2015-2016, NRHE to HER prototype, 459978 (Website). SDV359652.

Summary description
Early-mid 16th.
Full description
(Farmhouse sited to Triffords Farm, SY22509920, from OS 10560 1963).
Old Trifford's Farmhouse. Early-mid C16th with major later C16th and C17th improvements. Three-room-and-through-passage plan. (1)
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest DOE (HHR) Dist. of East Devon MAR-1988 112-3
Monument type, periods and evidence
Farmhouse: Medieval. Extant building
Farmhouse: Post medieval (1540-1901).
Related monuments: None recorded
Related events: None recorded
Related archives/objects: None recorded
Compiler: Rod Fitzgerald, 1992
Record created: Prior to 01/04/1999

Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

Old Triffords Farmhouse. Farmhouse. Early-mid C16 with major later C16 and C17 improvements including a mid C17 parlour crosswing, some C19 alterations. Parts are local stone and flint rubble, parts are cob on stone rubble footings, some of it is plastered; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; thatch roof covered with corrugated iron and plastic.
Plan development: L-plan farmhouse. The main block has a 3-room-and-through-passage plan. It faces south-east and is built down the hillslope. Uphill at the left (south- west) end there is a small unheated inner room which was a dairy or buttery. The hall is next to it and it has a axial stack backing onto the passage. Downhill at the right (north-east) end is an unheated service room (now a woodstore) which is open to the roof. There is no passage partition on the lower (service room) side. A 1-room plan parlour crosswing projects at right angles in front angles in front of (and overlapping a little) the left end. It has a stack serving ground and first floor chambers backing onto the main block. There is a stair turret in the angle of the 2 wings which also provides a lobby between the hall and parlour wing.
The original house, the main block, had a 3-room-and-through-passage plan. The hall was open to the roof and heated by an open hearth fire. There was a bedchamber over the inner room dairy/buttery. The passage and service room woodstore are still open to roof. The roof structure is clean and therefore if it is original must have been separated from the hall by a full height crosswall. The hall stack was inserted in the mid-lage and the hall was floored over in the mid Cl7, probably at the same time that the parlour wing and stair turret was built. From this time on the hall was used as the kitchen. The passage and service end woodstore is open to the roof and there is an outshot to rear of this section; the rest of the main block is 2 storeys and the parlour crosswing is 2 storeys with a loft above.
Exterior: the main block front has a single window (to the hall) which is a late C19- early C20 casement with glazing bars. The passage front doorway to right of this window contains a c19 2-flap plank door. The front side of the stair turret contains a probably Cl7 small oak-framed light containing rectangular panes of glass. The inner side of the parlour crosswing contains at ground floor level an original Beer- stone 3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions and hoodmould and containing rectangular panes of leaded glass. The other windows around the house are late C19- early C20 casements with glazing bars. The main block roof is hipped both ends and the parlour wing roof is gable-ended. Alongside the ground floor window in the end of the parlour wing is a limestone block inscribed with the date 1668 which may be the date of the parlour wing.
Interior: the passage and service end woodstore is open to roof and the lower passage partition has been removed. The hall has a large stone fireplace with 2 chamfered oak lintels and includes an oven (relined in the C19). The crossbeam has plain chamfered. The partition at the upper end of the hall is an oak plank-and- muntin screen which is exposed only in the dairy/buttery. The main block roof is carried on side-pegged jointed cruck trusses. The section over the hall including the underside of the original thatch there is sooted from the original open hearth fire. The truss over the hall/inner room partition was originally closed and it is blackened on the hall side only. Both end sections of the main block roof is clean. The stair turret contains an early C17 winder stair. The parlour fireplace is blocked by a Cl9 grate but the original fireplace shows; it is Membury stone ashlar with a Tudor arch head. There is a smaller version to the chamber above. Both the parlour and chamber have chamfered and scroll-stopped crossbeams. The chimneybreast wall of the parlour chamber includes a couple of Cl7 moulded plaster rosettes. The parlour wing is carried on side-pegged jointed cruck trusses.
Old Triffords farmhouse has now (1987) been emply for 30-40 years and has had no C20 modernisation. It is an interesting and attractive multi-phase Devon farmhouse.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108183 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV359652Website: Historic England. 2015-2016. NRHE to HER prototype. https://nrhe-to-her.esdm.co.uk/home. Website. 459978.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 15 2016 2:44PM