HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8209
Name:Place Wood or Tower Hill Castle Hillfort

Summary

Remains of an Iron Age hill camp called Place Wood or Tower Hill Castle.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 761 713
Map Sheet:SX77SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SE/30

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HILLFORT (Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Outline of north-east and south sides shown on 19th century Tithe Map. Field Number 702, Higher Castle and Field Number 742, Lower Castle which were arable in 1839.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Camp (Remains of)' shown on 19th century map. Map object partly based on this source.


Amery, P. F. S., 1900-1901, A Tour across Dartmoor into North Devon by the Rev. John Swete 1789 (Article in Serial). SDV18670.

Hitherto unrecorded hillfortresses near Ashburton. Remains of ancient fosse can still be traced by undulations of the ground in two fields called Castle Parks.


Victoria County History, 1906, The Victoria History of the County of Devon, 602 (Article in Serial). SDV238214.


Amery, J. S., 1924, (Presidential Address) The Ashburton of past days: its manners, customs and inhabitants, 44 (Article in Serial). SDV315287.

A camp near Ashburton was first recognised by the name of two fields on the site, known as Castle Parks, in which flints are frequently found after ploughing. The road leading to the spot is known as Tower Hill. Remains can still be traced by undulations of the ground.


Pilkington-Rogers, C. W, 1932, The Date of the Dartmoor Antiquities, 385 (Article in Serial). SDV149513.

Remains of Iron Age hill camp called Place Wood or Tower Hill Castle.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

A walled enclosure is visible with a slight rampart or bank on the north-east side.


Agricultural Development Advisory Service, 1995, Place Wood Barn (Worksheet). SDV285649.

Site visited on 9th February 1995. Bank on south side (on western edge of wood) slightly poached and bare earth. East edge of site displays 2 metre high bank and ditch and possible outer bank within woodland.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

'Camp' shown on modern mapping as a crescentric feature to the south-west of Place Wood. A curving boundary continues to the north-west. Map object partly based on this source.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape (Website). SDV355682.

Site visited on 19th July 1951. On Tower Hill, between Woodencliff Wood and Place Wood are very slight remains of a circular camp in two fields called Castle Parks. Traces of a fosse are perceptible from the north, by the east, to the south. The escarpment does not give the impression of a strong defence, except for its natural position. Classed as a simple defensive enclosure (Class C). An ancient trackway is traceable down the hillside to the fords on the River Dart. The site measures 300 feet in length from north-west to south-east, about 225 feet in width, and is rather les than 1 1/2 acres in area. Scarp has been ploughed out from SX76147142 to SX76187141 but a dark curvilinear crop mark appears to mark site of ditch at foot of scarp here. To SX76167135 the scarp is still fairly strong being about 4.5 metres wide and 1.25 metres high. There is no sign of ditch here. Remainder of circuit has been ploughed out although slight change in slope may be seen this more or less follows line of 600 foot contour. The interior is arable but no surface finds.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149513Article in Serial: Pilkington-Rogers, C. W. 1932. The Date of the Dartmoor Antiquities. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 64. A5 Hardback. 385.
SDV18670Article in Serial: Amery, P. F. S.. 1900-1901. A Tour across Dartmoor into North Devon by the Rev. John Swete 1789. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1. Unknown.
SDV238214Article in Serial: Victoria County History. 1906. The Victoria History of the County of Devon. Victoria History of the County of Devon. 1. Unknown. 602.
SDV285649Worksheet: Agricultural Development Advisory Service. 1995. Place Wood Barn. Worksheet.
SDV315287Article in Serial: Amery, J. S.. 1924. (Presidential Address) The Ashburton of past days: its manners, customs and inhabitants. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 56. Unknown. 44.
SDV319854Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV55799Related to: Barn west of Place Wood, Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 8 2018 10:44AM