HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV82187
Name:Stables, Coach House and Courtyard Walls adjoining north-west of Widworthy Court, Widworthy

Summary

Stables, coach house and courtyard walls built in 1830 to designs by George Repton.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 206 996
Map Sheet:SY29NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWidworthy
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDWORTHY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Buildings Record: 83577
  • National Monuments Record: SY29NW19
  • Pastscape: 1312200

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COACH HOUSE (Built, XIX - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
  • STABLE (Built, XIX - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
  • WALL (Built, XIX - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)

Full description

Historic England, 2015-2016, NRHE to HER prototype, 477017 (Website). SDV359652.

Summary description
Stables, coach house and courtyard walls adjoining north-west of Widworthy Court. Built in 1830 to designs by George Repton, of local stone and flint rubble with Bath stone ashlar details and slate roof. The stable courtyard is enclosed on the south-east side by the back end of the service wing of Widworthy Court and a high wall. On the north-east side is a low building, probably woodsheds, stores and such like originally (now converted to domestic use) and to the north-west is a wall containing an archway between this block and the stable block. The coach house and stable block is on the north-west side projecting further to the right. The south-west side is enclosed by a tall wall.
Full description
None recorded.
Sources
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 120 District of East Devon, 08/03/1988
Monument types, periods and evidence
Holiday centre: Change of use by 1985, 20th century. Extant building
Apartment: Change of use by 1985, 20th century. Extant building
Stable: Built 1830, post medieval. Extant building
Coach House: Built 1830, post medieval. Extant building
Storehouse: Built 1830, post medieval. Extant building
Courtyard: Built 1830, post medieval. Structure
Wall: Built 1830, post medieval. Structure
Related monuments
Parent: Widworthy Court. NRHE id 1312190
Related Events: None
Architect: George Stanley Repton
Record created: 19/04/00


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

Stables, coach house and courtyard walls adjoining north-west of Widworthy Court. Stables, coach house and courtyard walls. 1830 by George Repton. Local stone and flint rubble with Bathstone ashlar detail; slate roof. Plan: the stable courtyard is enclosed on the south-east side by the back end of the service wing of Widworthy Court (q.v) and a high wall. On the north-east side is a low building, probably woodsheds, stores and such like originally (now converted to domestic use) and at the left (north-west) end there is a wall containing an archway between this block and the stable-block. The coach house and stable block is on the north-west side projecting further to right (north-east). The south-west side is enclosed by a tall wall. Exterior: the front of the stable and coach house is 6 bays, 3 in the courtyard and 3 in the projection to right. The centre courtyard bay breaks forward a short distance and contains a large round-headed arch with imposts, keystone and plain architrave. Each side are plain pilasters on the corners up to a moulded entablature; above this an upper stage containing a circular clockface flanked by pairs of pilasters and moulded entablature; on top is a gabled bellcote with scrolls each side. Each side are smaller round-headed arches with plain imposts, keystones and architraves, now blocked by C20 windows with glazing bars. The other 3 bays are similar. The eaves cornice is a plain ashlar band and the roof is hipped each end. The tall south-west wall is ashlar on the outside, stone rubble with ashlar dressings. The gateway is a tall arch with plain imposts and keystones. It has a moulded cornice. On the inside, to right of the gateway, is a water trough in a low semi-circular wall and it is fed through a lions head mask tap.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108223 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV359652Website: Historic England. 2015-2016. NRHE to HER prototype. https://nrhe-to-her.esdm.co.uk/home. Website. 477017.

Associated Monuments

MDV18562Related to: Widworthy Court, Widworthy (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 31 2016 9:14AM