HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8338
Name:Start Point Lighthouse

Summary

Lighthouse at Start Point, built in 1836

Location

Grid Reference:SX 829 371
Map Sheet:SX83NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishStokenham
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSTOKENHAM

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 445827
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX83NW/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LIGHTHOUSE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX83NW7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV339369.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX83NW8 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV339370.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX83NW9 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV339368.


Watkin, H. R., 1914, Untitled Source, 515 (Monograph). SDV339367.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, 294 (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

Firebeacon on Start Point. 55 metres above sea level. There was a chapel of St. Mary in 1506, but the site is not known. The lighthouse was built in 1836 and was preceded by an admiralty signal house on the hill where the wireless station stands. Other details: Appendix B.


Department of Environment, 1960, Kingsbridge RD, 38 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV323346.

A circular grey tower of granite built 1836 by Alan Stevenson and fitted with dioptric system of illumination. The intermediate floors were removed in 1871 when houses were provided for accomodation.


Hague, D.B. + Christie, R., 1975, Untitled Source, 98, 108, 227 (Monograph). SDV7202.


Griffith, F. M., 1987, DAP/IB, 1, 2 (Aerial Photograph). SDV312427.


Griffith, F. M., 1988, Devon's Past. An Aerial View, 17 (Monograph). SDV64198.


Impett, R. M., 1989, Start Point (Ground Photograph). SDV339372.


English Heritage, 1991, Stokenham, 130 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV321703.

Lighthouse 1836 by James Walker engineer, with minor alterations of 1871. Tarred and white-painted granite ashlar with cast-iron lantern roofed in copper. Tall circular tower of about 28 metres high with moulded plinth and pedestal stage and two diminishing stages above that, the top stage with a corbelled embattled parapet and a cast-iron lattice lantern with a copper canopy surrounded by weatervane. Rectangular and small round-headed window openings with plain raised architraves and blind panel on west side under the parapet. On the north and south sides there are two entrance porches, that on the south side blocked an with a 4-centred arch hoodmould; the doorway to the north porch has a Tudor arch and both have raised parapets with Trinity House arms.
Interior: There is a cantilevered granite staircase around the inside well of the tower with an iron balustrade with a cast-iron newel. The lighthouse originally had the keepers' living accommodation on the ground and first floor but the floor was taken out in 1871 when new Keepers' Houses were built nearby. The lens is developed from the dioptic system designed by Alan Stevenson, the first of this kind to be used by Trinity House. The light was powered by oil until 1959 when it was electrified. Originally the fog-sounder was a bell mounted outside, but this was soon replaced, in about 1851, because the new steam ships could not hear the bell.
Source: Trinity House. Douglas B. Hague and Rosemary Christie, "Lighthouses".


Unknown, 1992, Untitled Source (Article in Serial). SDV339371.

Keepers to be replaced by automation in 1992.


Devon County Council, 2000, Fire Beacons: Warning Signals across the Countryside (Monograph). SDV320945.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV312427Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1987. DAP/IB. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1, 2.
SDV320945Monograph: Devon County Council. 2000. Fire Beacons: Warning Signals across the Countryside. Fire Beacons: Warning Signals across the Countryside. A4 Unbound.
SDV321703List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 1991. Stokenham. Historic Houses Register. Website. 130.
SDV323346List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Kingsbridge RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 38.
SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 294.
SDV339367Monograph: Watkin, H. R.. 1914. Totnes Priory. Unknown. 515.
SDV339368Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX83NW9. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV339369Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX83NW7. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV339370Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX83NW8. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV339371Article in Serial: Unknown. 1992. The Observer. Newspaper/Magazine Cuttin.
SDV339372Ground Photograph: Impett, R. M.. 1989. Start Point. Impett Slide Collection. Slide.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1
SDV64198Monograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. Devon's Past. An Aerial View. Devon's Past. An Aerial View. Paperback Volume. 17.
SDV7202Monograph: Hague, D.B. + Christie, R.. 1975. Lighthouses. Unknown. 98, 108, 227.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 5 2015 12:57PM