HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV8417
Name:Painsford Manor


House, now a farmhouse, formerly the seat of the Kellands. Probably late 16th or early 17th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric; remodelled in the late 17th century, and again in the late 18th and/or early 19th century.


Grid Reference:SX 800 568
Map Sheet:SX85NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAshprington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishASHPRINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85NW/22

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV145000.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV145001.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england, devon/(1952)41.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Painsford. Remains of mansion on banks of river hareburn. Vis=11/12/1952(os) belonged anciently to the piperelles whose heiress brought it to halwell. Nothing now remains of the mansion except a few old walls. Now known as painsford farm, and dwelling house is stone built and devoid of architectural detail of antiquity. At one point there is a crumbling stone archway and alongside a coat of arms with date 1683.

Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

House, now a farmhouse, formerly the seat of the Kellands. Probably late C16 or early C17, possibly incorporating earlier fabric; remodelled in late C17 for John Kelland, and remodelled again in circa late C18 and/or early C19. Dressed slate rubble with stuccoed front wall. Main roof is of slates with gabled ends, asbestos slate at the front; the section set back at the left has a lower slate hipped roof and the rear wing has a catslide roof. Axial and gable gable end stacks with brick shafts of late C18 or early C19 except for the right had shaft which appears to be later C19. Plan: The present house has a tall 2 storey main range of 4-room plan facing south with a cross-passage between the 2 centre rooms; the 2 right hand east rooms are relatively small and have an axial partition at the back providing a stairhall and entrance lobby behind. The room set back slightly at the left hand west end has a lower floor level and high ceiling. To the south west at the front of the left hand room there is the remains of a long wing at right angles with an open-fronted loggia on the ground floor, the first floor and roof having been removed. Behind the cross-passage and room to left of centre there is a short 2-storey wing of 2 rooms width, the left hand room containing the back stairs. To the left of this rear wing there is a stone vaulted cellar under the higher ground level behind the left end room of the main range. Development: The chapel (qv). was licensed in 1400 and there must have been a house here in the C15 but what survives is probably mainly late C16 or early C17 fabric in a house which was remodelled in the late C17, and remodelled again and probably reduced in late C18 and/or early C19. The late C16 or early C17 house had what was reputedly a long gallery over a loggia in a south west wing to the front of the left end of the main range; only the arcade of the loggia and ground storey walls of the wing survive. The Main range is more complete but in a remodelled form, probably heightened and the front wall rebuilt forward slightly in the late C17 and refenestrated in the late C18 and/or early C19. The internal arrangement of its 4-room plan is also the result of the late C17 remodelling. The cross-passage has late C17 panelling on the left side and a thick wall on the right side with an axial fireplace heating the room to the right. This is one of the 2 relatively small right hand rooms and stairhall behind with a lobby which were probably all formed in the late C17 from one large room at this end. It may have been the hall of the late C16/early C17 house. Furthermore there have been a wing at the front at this end balancing the long gallery-loggia wing to the left to farm a large U-shaped plan house. Is the 'outbuilding immediately south east of Painsford Manors' (qv) that wing, now detached from the main range? The chapel was rebuilt by John Kelland in 1683-7, a date consistent with the architectural features of the late C17 remodelling of the interior. Therefore it was almost certainly John Kelland who provided the grand first floor chambers in the main range. The late C18 and/or early C19 alteration included refenestration and some internal alterations including the replacement of the main stairs; the house was probably also reduced in size at this time. Exterior: 2 tall storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front plus 1 window range set back to left. The 2 first floor windows to the right are at a lower level. First floor 2 C19 tripartite sashes to the left with glazing bars, C19 30-pane sash to right of centre and late C19 sash to right with vertical glazing bars only. On the ground floor 2 C19 20 pane sashes to the right and a large C20 window to the left in an old opening. Doorway to the left of centre with an early C19 glazed and panelled door with a rectangular overlight now enclosed within a C20 conservatory/porch. The left hand end of the front is set back and was formerly an internal wall to a wing at the front. It has a fine circa late C16 or early C17 Tudor arch fireplace exposed on the first floor which probably heated what was reputedly a long-gallery over a loggia which projects at the left hand end of the house. It is now a roofless ruin with finely dressed slate walls and a 6-bay arcaded front to the inner east face with finely dressed slate octagonal piers with moulded bases and decking to the capitals supporting chamfered segmented almost round, arches; the arch to the left of centre has collapsed and the wall above the arcade has been demolished. The right hand gable end of the main range has a late c18 or early C19 round- headed stair window with glazing bars, to the right on the first floor. The back wall of the main range is blind except for a doorway with a late C18 panelled door and a slated canopy. The masonry of the back wall has indications of an integral lateral stack, now turneated, but which may have been the hall stack before the late C17 remodelling. To the right of centre at the rear a short wing with a catslide roof and Cl9 casement windows. The left hand end of the main range has 2 very large blocked first floor windows in the end wall and a projecting lateral stack on the back wall. Interior: Is largely the result of the late C17 remodelling and retains some good features of this period. The staircase in the rear right hand stairhall is a late C18 or early Cl9 replacement; it is a dog-leg staircase with an open string, stick balusters and moulded handrails ramped up to column newels. The stairhall has fine late C17 bolection moulded panel partitions separating it from the front rooms and rear lobby. These 2 front rooms at the right hand end are quite tall but have no features except for internal window shutters. The cross-passage has a circa late C17 moulded plank partition on the left side, backed with early C17 panelling in the room to the left of centre; this room also has a C17 panelled rear wall and a blocked fireplace which is said to have a stone arch. The extreme left hand room has a lower floor level, a fireplace in the rear wall with a reused Tudor-arch lintel and a very high ceiling with heavy unchamfered beams and reused moulded joists with run-out stops. Behind this room a stone-vaulted cellar under the ground at the back. The first floor has some late C17 bolection moulded 2-panel doors and C18 chimneypieces. There are 4 rooms on the first floor to the left centre and in the rear wing with bolection moulded panelling. One chamber over the centre at the back of the main range is completely, panelled complete with a bolections moulded chimneypiece. Another very fine late C17 chamber to the left of centre in the main range has bolection panelling and a very good bolection moulded chimneypiece, its cornice breaks forward at the centre; the large panelled double doors of this room have a doorcase with a very fine broken pediment facing the landing which has bolection dado panelling. The chamber at the left end is also lined with bolection panelling and has a similarly moulded chimneypiece. Roof: The roof space was not inspected - the pitch is fairly low. Source: W.G. Hoskins, Devon, page 322

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145000Migrated Record:
SDV145001Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108453 ]
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jun 10 2015 2:22PM