HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8494
Name:Farmhouse at Clifford Barton, Dunsford

Summary

15th century or earlier farmhouse with remodelling of the late 16th and 17th century. 20th century alterations to front elevation. Stone rubble to first floor level, cob above, whitewashed and rendered; asbestos slate roof gabled at left end. Complex development with several medieval building phases. The core of the house is a medieval open hall of which 2 roof trusses remain and which orginally extended at least 1 further bay to the lower (south) end to the right. The house was modified and possibly extended in the later medieval period. Remarkable survival of medieval roofs, 16th and 17th century joinery and other features in interior. Adjoining barn is probably also 19th century, stone rubble with a slate roof with a gabled end. In spite of the 20th century alterations this is a most important medieval house with remarkable interior features; the first medieval roof may be one of the earliest in the county and has similarities of design with the roof of the Rectory at Cheriton Bishop.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 780 900
Map Sheet:SX79SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDunsford
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishDUNSFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX79SE/18
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HALL HOUSE (Built, XVI - 1550 AD to 1599 AD (Between))
  • BARN (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Between))
  • KITCHEN (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 17 (Monograph). SDV323771.

A house which has been for a considerable time in the Southmead family.


Department of Environment, 1952, St Thomas RD (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV129122.

Clifford Barton. 16th century or earlier. Thatched, of two storeys with very thick cob walls. Barn wing of cob and stone attached at right-angles. Interior has original panelling and beams.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SX79SE4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV285389.

18/4/1953 The house has been much modernised including windows and doors and it appears similar to the common 17th century farmhouses of the neighbourhood.


Seymour, D. J., 1955 - 1958, The Smaller Manor Houses of Medieval Devon, 10 (Article in Serial). SDV6523.

Domesday manor. The Clifford family originated here. Small L-shaped house with fine wooden screens and beams in hall.


Department of Environment, 1986, Dunsford, 2 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV340721.

Clifford Barton and adjoining barn. 15th century or earlier with remodelling of the late 16th and 17th century. 20th century alterations to front elevation. Stone rubble to first floor level, cob, above, whitewashed and rendered; asbestos slate roof gabled at left end, end stacks, end stack to wing.
Plan: Complex development with several medieval building phases. The core of the house is a medieval open hall of which two roof trusses remain and which originally extended at least one further bay to the lower end to the right. The surviving trusses are unusual and could date from before the 15th century. The house was modified and possibly extended in the late medieval period. Evidence of smoke-blackening.
Exterior: Two storeys. The lower end screen of the passage and a fine screen at the inner end of the hall are probably later 16th century or 17th century addition. In the 19th century a wing was built making an overall l-shaped plan. In the late 20th century the thatch was replaced.
Interior: Remarkable survival of medieval roofs, 16th century and 17th century joinery and other features. In spite of the 20th century alterations this is a most important medieval house with distinct interior features: the first medieval roof may be one of the earliest in the county. See doe list for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Farmhouse is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

SX 79 SE DUNSFORD 2/2 Clifford Barton and adjoining barn - 11.11.52 II*
Farmhouse. C15 or earlier with remodelling of the late C16 and C17. C20 alterations to front elevation. Stone rubble to first floor level, cob above, whitewashed and rendered; asbestos slate roof gabled at left end, end stacks, end stack to wing.
Complex development with several medieval building phases. The core of the house is a medieval open hall of which 2 roof trusses remain and which orginally extended at least 1 further bay to the lower (south) end to the right. The surviving trusses are unusual and could date from before the C15. The house was modified and possibly extended in the later medieval period: a 2-bay smoke-blackened roof at the lower end has a roof truss of a more conventional type and there is a similar smoke-blackened truss over the inner room. There is some evidence for a full height partition up to the apex of the roof over the lower (south) end and there may have been 2 open hearths. In the C16 the process of ceiling over the open hall began at the higher end which jettied into the hall and the inner room was given a fine fireplace to a rear lateral stack (dismantled late C20) and a newel stair in a rear turret. The hall stack, backing on to the passage, may have been inserted prior to ceiling over the hall and lower end; access to the first floor chamber over the hall was via a second rear stair turret. The lower end screen of the passage and a fine screen at the inner end of the hall are probably later C16 or C17 additions. In the C19 a wing was built at right angles at the front of the lower end providing a C19 kitchen and an overall L plan. In the late C20 the thatch was replaced and a new roof constructed above the medieval roofs, the fenestration was altered on the front elevation, first floor and the axial hall stack was dismantled.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front with a C20 porch to the front door of the passage on the extreme right of the main range. 3 first floor half-dormers, 2 ground floor windows; the first floor windows are C20 casements; the 2 ground floor windows are 3-light probably C18 casements with old square leaded panes and some bottle glass. The front right wing has a slate roof and 1 ground floor 3-light casement, 6 panes per light and a further entrance into the kitchen.
Interior: Remarkable survival of medieval roofs, C16 and C17 joinery and other features. The earliest roof trusses, in the centre, are arch braced jointed crucks joined by a buried double tenon held by pegs with extra face pegs (Thorp). The trusses have cambered collars and king posts below a saddle with a square set ridge. There are Wind braces between the 2 trusses and curved braces from the foot of the king posts to the ridge. On the south side of the southern truss, which is closed, a mortise in the king post indicates that the same arrangement extended at least another bay to the south, sooted rafters and battens also survive. The roof truss over the lower (south) end, which is also heavily smoke-blackened, is collar rafter with the principals mortised at the apex, a straight collar, diagonally-set ridge and threaded purlins. The truss over the inner end is partly obscured but appears to be of the same.design. The late C16/early C17 ground floor hall is virtually complete. The open fireplace has chamfered granite jambs and lintel and an ashlar chimney breast, shaft dismantled late C20. The hall cross beams are deeply chamfered with step stops, one has been truncated when the hall window was enlarged. The oak plank and muntin screen at the inner end of the hall has chamfered muntins stopped off at the level of the hall bench which still exists and terminates in a fine, rare bench end with an elaborate profile and domed finial. The stair turret doorway is chamfered with a cambered lintel. The inner room has a cross beam with runout stops and a good granite fireplace; a hollow and roll moulding on the lintel is continued and dies away on the jambs. The turret has a chamfered doorway with a cambered lintel and a granite newel stair. An oak plank and muntin screen at the lower side of the passage has chamfered muntins. The lower end room has chamfered cross beams with bar stops and a 2-light timber mullioned window with chamfered mullions which is now internal but was formerly on the front wall before the C19 extension was built.
The barn adjoining the C19 kitchen addition is probably also C19, stone rubble with a slate roof with a gabled end. The barn has 2 ground floor entrances, stone steps against the front wall lead to a loft doorway at the left, loft window in the centre. In spite of the C20 alterations this is a most important medieval house with remarkable interior features; the first medieval roof may be one of the earliest in the county and has similarities of design with the roof of the Rectory at Cheriton Bishop. Thorp, John, MS notes on Clifford Barton.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV129122List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1952. St Thomas RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV285389Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SX79SE4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 17.
SDV340721List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Dunsford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 2.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108607 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV6523Article in Serial: Seymour, D. J.. 1955 - 1958. The Smaller Manor Houses of Medieval Devon. Transactions of the Torquay Natural History Society. 12. Unknown. 10.

Associated Monuments

MDV77063Part of: Clifford Barton farmstead, Dunsford (Monument)
MDV37121Related to: Sweet Meadows, Dunsford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 24 2017 1:02PM