HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8531
Name:St Petrox Parish Church, Dartmouth

Summary

St Petrox Parish Church in Dartmouth probably had late 12th century origins, it is mentioned in a document of 1192. It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1641.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 886 503
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.PETROX

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5160
  • National Monuments Record: 446052
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/17
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 38138

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Griffith, F. M., 10/07/1990, DAP/SS, 7,8 (Aerial Photograph). SDV177423.


Newman,, 1869, On the Antiquity of Dartmouth, 133 (Article in Serial). SDV339563.


Department of Environment, 1872-1972, Letter to National Monuments Register, 2 (Correspondence). SDV326474.

Fine position by castle at mouth of estuary. Tower may be medieval. Remainder probably 16th century, with much work dating from 1641. Fittings and monuments, including 17th century brasses.


Adams, M., 1900, The Castle, Manor-house and Church of Clifton, near Dartmouth, 510-3 (Article in Serial). SDV172286.


Baring Gould, S., 1900-1901, St. Petrock, 13 (Article in Serial). SDV19012.


Chanter, J. F., 1910, Christianity in Devon before AD 909, 491 (Article in Serial). SDV870.

Chanter refers to this site as a chapel.


Watkin, H. R., 1911, The foundation and early history of Dartmouth and Kingswear churches, 160-1 (Article in Serial). SDV172950.

Contains a sandstone font.


Clarke, K. M., 1916, The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 4, 317 (Article in Serial). SDV145498.

Font at St Petrocks church showing transition to 13th century plain font. Height 83.8 centimetres, bowl outer diameter 81.3 centimetres and inner depth 25.4 centimetres with a 21.6 centimetre long shaft. No cable or saw-tooth decoration but a band of honeysuckle and a round moulding are the only ornament. Red sandstone with traces of whitewash. The rim is cut to octagon shape to a depth of 38 millimetres. The shaft and plinth are of grey stone. Other details: Plate X.


O'Neil, B. H. St J., 1935, Dartmouth Castle and other defences in Dartmouth Haven, 129-58 (Article in Serial). SDV177411.


Russell, P., 1947 - 1949, Dartmouth: Pre-reformation the Castle and St Petrox, 200 (Article in Serial). SDV172956.

The tower, usually considered to be medieval, was probably built in about 1642.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 385 (Monograph). SDV17562.

A record of 1192 refers to the site as 'The Monastery of St Peter', suggesting that a monasterium or minster may have been established in early Christian times. The present church rebuilt in Gothic style in 1641-2.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, 294 (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

St Petrock's church. The land of St Peter's is referred to in 1192 and in 1332 the church is said to have been "founded of old". If, as seems possible, it served as a watch place, it was superceded by the castle, and then by the light-house tower, built in 1854. This in turn was replaced by the light-house on the Kingswear side ten years later. Pre-Elizabethan. Other details: Appendix B.


Radford, C. A. R., 1975, Untitled Source, 2-11 (Article in Serial). SDV172959.

Discusses the possibility of a pre conquest minster in more detail.


Pearce, S. M., 1978, Untitled Source, 105 (Monograph). SDV7107.

Pearce suggests this may have been the site of a pre-conquest minster.


Worth, R. H., 1979, Church geology, 169 (Article in Serial). SDV275389.

Permian red sandstone used in this church is from Roundham, Paignton.


Grant, A. + Gwynn, R., 1985, The Huguenots of Devon, 167-8 (Article in Serial). SDV172961.

Huguenot refugee congregation may have met here after 1687. Minister Andre Majendie was buried at St Petrox in 1734.


Department of National Heritage, 1994, Dartmouth (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV157498.

Parish Church. Probably late 12th century origins (Norman font), rebuilt and enlarged in 1641 (date plaque). Local limestone and slatestone rubble, mostly roughcast but exposed on west end and tower; freestone detail; slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Plan: Uninterrupted nave and chancel with full-length north and south aisles, west tower, and small lean-to heated vestry against west end of the south aisle. Exterior: Vaguely Perpendicular in style. Tower of 2 stages with low offset buttresses, stair tower projecting from south side to embattled parapet, arch-headed belfry windows and tiny lancets to the ringing floor, 4-light west window and blocked Tudor-arch doorway in the north side. Main doorway in west end of north aisle, another Tudor-arch doorway under a very weathered plaque from which only the 41 of the 1641 date is legible. Panelled door, like those on the south side, appears to be 19th century but reusing older ferramenta. Window above has plain mullions from a repair (another similar at east end of south aisle). North side has 2 raking buttresses and a window each end, and south side has 3 windows to right of the vestry; all arch-headed mullioned-and-transomed 3-light without hoodmoulds, with Tudor arch-headed lights. Larger 4-light version at east end of north aisle. East window of chancel has intersecting tracery. Interior: Uninterrupted nave and chancel. 4-bay arcades to aisles on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals. Plain plastered barrel-vaulted ceilings. Tall plain tower arch and large beams to the ringing floor. Tower walls of exposed stone, the rest are plastered. Tower floor is an attractive chequer pattern of red, black and cream tiles. Rest of the church has a stone flag floor including good graveslabs and brasses at chancel end (see memorials). Fittings: 20th century altar table and communion rail. Good 17th century oak pulpit - octagonal with panelled sides and dated 1641. Plain 19th century pine benches. West end of south aisle screened off by a partition made up from pieces of 17th century panelling, enriched with guilloche, strapwork, cherubs, leafy scrolls, etc: these fragments are probably from the 17th century gallery (dismantled in 1885) as are the panelled sections of the gallery frontal with similar ornament set in the tower and now used to commemorate those parishioners who died in both World Wars. Good Norman red sandstone font - circular stem and bowl with frieze of palmette decoration. Painted arms of Charles II from 1660 on south wall. North wall has painted boards recording charitable bequests; the largest dated 1677, others from 1823 and 1841. An arcade of round-headed boards at west end of the south aisle from former reredos has taller outer boards painted with the Lords Prayer and the Creed with biblical quotations between. Memorials: two 18th century funeral hatchments of the Holdsworth family. Floor includes good collection of mostly 17th and 18th century ledger stones, many of them for members of the Newman and Holdsworth families. A row of 3 good brasses to right of the altar. Best, if somewhat worn, mural monument is reset at east end of south aisle, to Edward Roope (died 1683) - oval plaque with bayleaf frame, pulvinated frieze on Corinthian columns over carved console brackets. Each aisle has a similar small, delicately carved and pedimented plaque, one to Nicholas Roope (died 1625), the other to Margaret Plumleigh (died 1638). Glass: All late 19th and early 20th century dates, but probably including earlier glass. Mostly plain patterns of leaded glass with coats of arms but stained glass from 1927 in east window. The church forms part of an important group of listed buildings at the mouth of the Dart estuary. The church probably originated as a light positioned at the harbour entrance.


Department of Environment, 1996, Dartmouth Castle (Schedule Document). SDV340554.

Important archaeological deposits lie within the churchyard and under St Petrox Church but are not included in Dartmouth Castle Scheduled Monument as they come under ecclesiastical jurisdiction.


Horner, B., 1998, St. Petrox (Personal Comment). SDV341507.

A watching brief undertaken in 1998 for a Garden of Rememberance to the west of the churchyard found no artefacts or deposits of archeological significance.


Batty, M., 2003, South Devon Coast Path Project: a study of the archaeology along the coast path in the South Hams from Staddon Heights to Sharkham Point, 83 (Un-published). SDV336214.

St Petroc's 17th century church built on earlier site.


Young, G. M., 2004, Dartmouth Castle: Phase 2 Condition Survey Works. Archaeological Watching Brief and Recording (Report - Survey). SDV320380.

17th century St Petrox Church replaced an older chapel. It has a walled churchyard to the north and west and is situated immediately to the southwest of the Gun Tower. A small amount of repointing was done on the churchyard wall during repairs and alterations at Dartmouth Castle between May 2003 and March 2004.


Woodcock, A., 2009, Honeysuckle and Red Sandstone: Some Characteristics of Romanesque Stonecarving in South Devon, 77-92 (Article in Serial). SDV361655.

Mid to late 12th century stone carving in Ashprington, Blackawton, Buckfastleigh, Cornworthy, Dartmouth (St Petrox), Denbury, Paignton, South Brent, Thurlestone, Ugborough and Wolborough.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.


Waterhouse, R., Unknown, Dartmouth Conservation Area: Archaeology, 2 (Un-published). SDV355585.

St. Petrox predates the foundation of the borough of Dartmouth being mentioned in a document of 1192, when it was dedicated to St. Peter and described as a monastery.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145498Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1916. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Part 4. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 48. Unknown. 317.
SDV157498List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1994. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV172286Article in Serial: Adams, M.. 1900. The Castle, Manor-house and Church of Clifton, near Dartmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 32. A5 Hardback. 510-3.
SDV172950Article in Serial: Watkin, H. R.. 1911. The foundation and early history of Dartmouth and Kingswear churches. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 43. A5 Hardback. 160-1.
SDV172956Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1947 - 1949. Dartmouth: Pre-reformation the Castle and St Petrox. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 23. Unknown. 200.
SDV172959Article in Serial: Radford, C. A. R.. 1975. Devon Historian. 11. Unknown. 2-11.
SDV172961Article in Serial: Grant, A. + Gwynn, R.. 1985. The Huguenots of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 117. A5 Paperback. 167-8.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 385.
SDV177411Article in Serial: O'Neil, B. H. St J.. 1935. Dartmouth Castle and other defences in Dartmouth Haven. Archaeologia. 85. Unknown. 129-58.
SDV177423Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 10/07/1990. DAP/SS. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 7,8.
SDV19012Article in Serial: Baring Gould, S.. 1900-1901. St. Petrock. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1. Unknown. 13.
SDV275389Article in Serial: Worth, R. H.. 1979. Church geology. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 111. A5 Paperback. 169.
SDV320380Report - Survey: Young, G. M.. 2004. Dartmouth Castle: Phase 2 Condition Survey Works. Archaeological Watching Brief and Recording. Exeter Archaeology Report. 04.38. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV326474Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1872-1972. Letter to National Monuments Register. Letter. 2.
SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 294.
SDV336214Un-published: Batty, M.. 2003. South Devon Coast Path Project: a study of the archaeology along the coast path in the South Hams from Staddon Heights to Sharkham Point. Mixed Archive Material. 83.
SDV339563Article in Serial: Newman,. 1869. On the Antiquity of Dartmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 3. Unknown. 133.
SDV340554Schedule Document: Department of Environment. 1996. Dartmouth Castle. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV341507Personal Comment: Horner, B.. 1998. St. Petrox.
SDV355585Un-published: Waterhouse, R.. Unknown. Dartmouth Conservation Area: Archaeology. Digital. 2.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1
SDV361655Article in Serial: Woodcock, A.. 2009. Honeysuckle and Red Sandstone: Some Characteristics of Romanesque Stonecarving in South Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 141. Paperback Volume. 77-92.
SDV7107Monograph: Pearce, S. M.. 1978. The Kingdom of Dumnonia: Studies in History and Tradition in South Western . Hardback Volume. 105.
SDV870Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1910. Christianity in Devon before AD 909. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 42. A5 Hardback. 491.

Associated Monuments

MDV8536Parent of: Church Plate in St Petrox Parish Church (Find Spot)
MDV8534Parent of: Edward Roope Memorial in St Petrox Parish Church (Find Spot)
MDV8533Parent of: John Roope Memorial in St Petrox Parish Church (Find Spot)
MDV8532Parent of: Plumleigh Memorial in St Petrox Parish Church (Find Spot)
MDV8535Parent of: Rous Memorial in St Petrox Parish Church (Find Spot)
MDV8565Related to: Clifton Mansion, Dartmouth Castle (Building)
MDV86080Related to: Cross shaft west of the Church of St Petrox, Dartmouth (Building)
MDV19561Related to: Dartmouth Castle or Hawley's Fortalice (Building)
MDV108505Related to: Dartmouth (Monument)
MDV8519Related to: Dartmouth Castle (Building)
MDV8537Related to: Granite Shaft west of St Petrox Parish Church (Building)
MDV17431Related to: Medieval Chapel of St Patrick in Dartmouth Castle (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2018 8:43AM