HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV8551
Name:St Saviour's Church, Dartmouth


St. Saviour's was dedicated as a Chapel of Ease in 1372, but it may be earlier in date. The church was enlarged in the late 14th/early 15th century and has been repaired and refurbished several times since. It is described as having one of the best interiors in Devon. Features include a carved and painted rood screen and a carved stone pulpit.


Grid Reference:SX 877 513
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5176
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/31
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 387192

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Built, XIII to XIV - 1201 AD to 1400 AD (Between))

Full description

Prince, J., 1810, Worthies of Devon, 447-9 (Monograph). SDV16199.

Memorial brass in St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth. In the chancel is a brass of John Hawley and his two wives, Johanna and Alicia. Surmounted by a canopy, second wife damaged. He wears a bascinet, camail and plate armour with an elaborate haldric from which his sword hangs. Inscription reads, "Here lies the well- known man, John Hawley, founder of this chancel. Who died 30 December 1408. On the right side lies his first wife by name Joan who died 12 July, 1394. On the left side lies his second wife Alice who died 7 January 1403. On whose souls may god have mercy".

Newman,, 1869, On the Antiquity of Dartmouth, 133 (Article in Serial). SDV339563.

Pengelly, W., 1876, Devonshire Gleanings from 'Notes and Queries', 714 (Article in Serial). SDV56474.

Loftus-Brock, E. P., 1883, The Peculiarities of the Ancient Churches of Devonshire, 27-34 (Article in Serial). SDV19516.

Longden, H., 1890, Untitled Source, 138 (Article in Serial). SDV341069.

Possible 16th century ironwork on door of north porch. Sprays of oakwork nearly covering the door with two leopards stretching across the door and over the oakwork.

Keyser, C. E., 1898, On the Panel Paintings of Saints on the Devonshire Screens, 183-222 (Article in Serial). SDV134840.

Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 455 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Parish church of St Saviour's. Rood screen tracery has ogee canopies with carved crockets and finials over each pair of lights under the arcaded heads. Early 15th century. The groining panels have rich sunk tracery panels painted. Rood and figures added in 1891.17th century gallery has a riot of ornamental panelling.

Rogers, W. H. H., 1906 - 1907, The memorial brasses found in the churches of Stoke Fleming, St Saviour and St Petrock, Dartmouth, 66-69 (Article in Serial). SDV172925.

Memorial brasses in St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth. In the south aisle is a brass of an unknown, locally known as the 'virtuous lady'. Dated 1470, it is a small wall brass without inscription. At the entrance to the chancel is a brass of Gilbert Staplehill, wearing the Mayor's fur-lined robe. Inscription reads, "Here lyeth the bodye of Gilbart Staplehill, once Maior of Dartmouth, dyed the 15 of February, 1637".

Morris-Drake, F., 1908 - 1909, Dartmouth Arms, 223 (Article in Serial). SDV341081.

Arms of the Borough in St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth. The shield was restored in 1905 and it was suggested that the glass was painted 100 years before Peckitts time and that it was Late Renaissance, contemporary with the window it occupies and the gallery it overlooks.

Roscoe Gibbs, 1908 - 1909, The Arms of Dartmouth and their origin, 137, 139, 141 (Article in Serial). SDV341080.

Medieval stained glass in St Saviour's church in Dartmouth. In the vestibule under the west gallery is a Shield of Arms in stained glass in the small quatrefoil window above the outer door. The shield is of hexagonal form with concave sides, its four diagonal points meeting the 4 stone cusps of the window opening. There is a carefully painted portrait of King Henry VII filling the place in the Town Arms usually occupied by a medieval king. The glass has since been destroyed.
Vestibule St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth with a little quatrefoil window occupying the base of the tower. It is oblong on plan, in length about double its width and is prettily ceiled with elaborate wooden groining in two bays. On one of its bosses is carved a singular crest, between the figures 1823, referring doubtless to the year of the restoration of the porch.
Arms of the Borough in St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth. In the north aisle are the Arms of the Borough, which till 2 years ago occupied a vesica opening in the north transept window. It is evidently late 18th century work and probably by Peckitt of York.
The Dartmouth Arms are included in a series of painted shields, 17th century work but since restored, on the front of the gallery. They appear also in sculpture over the south porch. There is a footnote stating that the greater part of the gallery was taken down in 1906, the western end alone remaining, and some of the shields have been stowed away for future use.

Watkin, H. R., 1911, The foundation and early history of Dartmouth and Kingswear churches, 154-60 (Article in Serial). SDV172950.

Originally founded as chapel-of-ease of Townstal church, and known as Chapel of St Clair. Author suggests foundation may have been earlier than 1372.

Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 457,460-1,489-90 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.

Chanter, J. F., 1927, Sixteenth Report on Church Plate, 95 (Article in Serial). SDV239594.

Church plate at St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth includes 17th century chalices, patens, flagons and alms dishes.

R. B. M., 1928 - 1929, A low side window, 356 (Article in Serial). SDV341070.

Contains an example of a low side-window; the possible reasons for this are discussed.

Watkin, H. R., 1935, Dartmouth:1, Pre-Reformation, 451; plate 11 (Article in Serial). SDV340977.

Kent, J. P. C., 1949, Monumental Brasses: a new classification of military effiges, 94 (Article in Serial). SDV341072.

St Saviour's parish church in Dartmouth, a 15th century monumental brass of Series A-Type dated 1408.

Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 113-4 (Monograph). SDV336217.

The church lies outside the town. The earliest parts of the nave appear to date to 13th century, although the earliest dedication is not until 1372.

Masson Phillips, E. N., 1954, Supplementary Notes on the Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon (Fourth Paper), 176-7 (Article in Serial). SDV15725.

Two documentary references in 1531 and 1553/4 found, to a Palm Cross being located at St Saviour's Church.

Lamb, S., 1957, Some notes on 18th century furnishings in the parish churches of Devon, 217 (Article in Serial). SDV65364.

Gardiner, D. A., 1966, John Hawley of Dartmouth, 173 (Article in Serial). SDV341073.

Corbould, P., 1968, The Monumental Brasses of Devon, 32-40; plate 2 (Article in Serial). SDV84760.

Department of Environment, 1972, Dartmouth, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV155627.

Dedicated 1372 as Chapel to St Clements. Nave and chancel 1372-1410. Lower part of tower, transepts etc, 15th and early 16th century. Extensive alterations, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Interior: fine late 15th or early 16th century roof screen and pulpit. West gallery dated 1633. Early 19th century woodwork. Monuments include brass to John Hawley, founder of the church who died in 1408. Important south door with ironwork dated 1631.

Devon County Council, 1975, Dartmouth - Walk about in the Conservation Area & Exploring Dartmouth and Kingswear, 35, 37 (Article in Monograph). SDV352452.

The church, consecrated in 1371 has a carved and painted rood screen, a carved stone pulpit and the south door has fine wrought iron work.

Pistono, S. P., 1979, Henry IV and John Hawley, Privateer, 1399-1408, 147 (Article in Serial). SDV341074.

Martin, M., 1980, Changes in the waterfront of Dartmouth 1000 to 1970, 129-36 (Article in Serial). SDV337580.

Griffith, F. M., 1987, DAP/IB, 6 (Aerial Photograph). SDV312427.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 322 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Permission for a chapel by the harbour granted in 1286. Present church consecrated 1372 but the two western bays may be older. The tall west tower is also early.

Unknown, 1990, St. Saviour's Church, Dartmouth (Pamphlet). SDV341076.

A church was begun on this site in 1286 and by 1335 a new Oratory was built. The church was consecrated by Bishop Brantingham of Exeter in 1372. This small church dedicated to St Clement was a rectangular building which is the main part of the nave of the later church. In 1396 John Hawley, the Mayor of Dartmouth, endowed the eastward extension of the church creating the chancel. By 1437 the transepts and tower had been built and by 1441 the church was known as St Saviour's. In the late 15th century the screen across the sanctuary, the two chapels and the pulpit were built. A major refurbishment was undertaken in 1631 when the external walls were raised and the windows were refashioned. Early 19th century developments included extending the gallery and moving the pulpit. Further restoration took place in the late 19th and 20th centuries. Includes illustration of the Hawley monument.

Weddell, P. J. + Turton, S. D., 1992, Preliminary Archaeological Assessment of Dartmouth Sewage Treatment Works, 2 (Report - Assessment). SDV176861.

Edwards, T., 1998, Hawley's Fortalice: Dartmouth's first castle, 6 (Pamphlet). SDV177422.

Child, R., 1998, St Saviour Dartmouth (Correspondence). SDV346988.

Although the List states that the 1815 Corporation pews have been moved to their current position in the nave, the fact that their backs are carved suggests in fact that they are in their original position. Proposal to move them to the aisles.
The existing rib-vaulted corridor through the tower base appears to date from the early or mid 19th century, and is built of timber frame filled with masonry and brick. It has a collection of ancient pieces of timber fixed to it, ranging from fielded panelling (from the box pews, removed at that time) and wide oak boards, so 17th century floor beams and, in the southern cupboard, parts of the 1633 carved galleries (also removed in the 19th century).

Watts, M. A., 1999, Archaeological Recording during Drainage Works at St Saviour's Church, Dartmouth (Report - Watching Brief). SDV336363.

Stephenson, G., 2001, Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth (Report - Assessment). SDV319967.

Ordnance Survey, 2008, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV340009.

English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Church. Dedicated in 1372 as a chapel of ease under the Church of St Clement at Townstal. Church building had commenced earlier in the 14th century but it was enlarged in the late 14th/early 15th century. The Town Corporation owned the advowson between 1585-1835 and were responsible for the major refurbishment of 1633-7. Vestry of 1883. A plaque records the expenditure of over £3400 in 1887-8 by EH Sedding, architect. Further renovation in 1891-3 by Ashworth; later repairs in 1932 and 1956. Local stone rubble with Bathstone and Salcombe stone dressings, the various builds show in the different styles of rubble masonry; slate roofs with pierced and crested ridge tiles.
Plan: Nave and chancel with transepts, north and south aisles extending into the chancel and flanking west tower, north and south porches, vestry on south side of the chancel. Eastern end of the nave rebuilt in the late 15th century with a new rood screen (1496), possibly with the transepts. In 1633-7 the tower was heightened, new windows to the aisles and the gallery erected as part of major refurbishment. In the late 19th century a major restoration in 2 phases in which the church was reroofed, the chancel stripped of its 17th century furnishings and 'restored', the organ 'enlarged', and the vestry built.
Exterior: Tall unbuttressed west tower, its upper stage from the 17th century with embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. Belfry has mullioned round-headed windows under continuous hoodmould. Older double-lancet belfry windows below and large 19th century clockfaces. Restored west doorway, a 2-centred arch with shafts and carved arch under hoodmould, contains 19th century door. 4-light window above with ogival tracery. Gabled ends to aisles, like most other gables, with coping and apex crosses. 19th century gabled north porch with offset buttresses, 2-centred outer arch, boarded wagon-style roof, and 19th century north doorway is a moulded 2-centred arch and contains a Gothic-style door. South porch of circa 1630 has embattled parapet and moulded 2-centred outer arch with hoodmould and contains probably original timber panelled gates with crest of twisted iron spikes; worn stone plaque above, which formerly displayed the Town Arms with the date; inside are stone benches and plain vaulted roof. South doorway a 17th century two-centred arch with ovolo moulded surround. North and south aisles have 17th century windows with unusual tracery of intersecting curves and large cinquefoil roundels to the gallery. The hoodmoulds on the south side are dated 1932. Gable-ended transepts running parallel to the church: both have 4-light west windows with intersecting tracery, outer 19th century windows with Perpendicular tracery and blocked east windows. Chancel with 19th century Perpendicular windows and, on the northern side, a thicker wall including a small blocked window. Vestry in Gothic style with embattled parapet and tall chimneyshaft (rebuilt in the late 20th century) and dated 1888 on rainwater head.
Interior: One of the best in Devon. Uninterrupted roof to nave and chancel; 19th century boarded vault. Similar roofs to aisles and contemporary intersecting beam ceilings to the transepts. All are painted and feature gold stars in the transepts and chancel. Tall plain tower arch. No chancel arch. 5-bay arcades including one bay across the transepts and another overlapping into the chancel. They are not the same. Western 2 bays are 14th century. South side has octagonal piers with moulded capitals, north side similar but with shafts to the corners. Eastern 3 bays rebuilt in the 15th century with taller arches, Pevsner's B-type profiles to the piers, carved capitals and carved fleurons and other motifs to the arches (one has an almost continuous leaf scroll). Chancel has combined piscina and sedilia - 4 bays with crocketed ogee tops. Other piscinas in the transepts, low cinquefoil head and projecting bowl below a row of 3 plain niches in the north transept, and a double cusped ogee arch with carved tracery in the spandrels with traces of old painted colour in the south transept. Tudor-arch doorway from the south chapel to the vestry containing a Gothic-style door. Windows have hollow-chamfered rere arches, except east window which has a moulded rere arch. Plastered walls. Nave and aisles have flagged floors including a large number of 17th and 18th century ledger stones. Section at the east end, a series of 19th century brasses have a border of polychrome marble. Black and white chequered marble in the sanctuary. Rood screen: 1496 according to the church accounts. Very high quality carved oak. 11 bays across nave and aisles. Stone stairs each end with round-headed doorways to the rood loft. Perpendicular window tracery above wainscotting with blind tracery (right end bay replaced with panelling dated 1598). Carved Gothic coving and intricately carved and undercut frieze and low crest. Ancient painted colour including defaced saints on the wainscotting. 20th century replacement rood. Later parclose screens, bearing the arms and initials of James Pelliton, mayor in 1567-8, standard tracery with carved frieze to match the rood screen. West gallery: Dated 1633. Oak carving in same style as contemporary fronts of merchants' houses. Richly carved bressummer. Frontal divided into bays by standards carved as Ionic columns, panels (painted with the arms of mayors, recorders and other prominent Dartmouth men) with richly carved rails and muntins under a grille of tiny turned balusters to the handrail. Good early 18th century stair, open string with carved stair brackets, slender turned balusters with blocks and moulded flat handrail.
Fittings: South door, although dated 1631, has excellent probably 15th century ironwork featuring 2 lions across a tree with large leaves. Remarkable painted altar table made in 1893 from a late 16th century communion table using carvings of the Evangelists as the legs. Wooden communion rail of 1956. Late 19th century oak stalls with Gothic-style ornament. Rococo organ case of 1789 by Micheau of Exeter. South chapel lined with 17th century panelling (a section cut away to reveal a small brass) and some later panelling. Rare 15th century painted stone pulpit, tall and encrusted with carved decoration - slender octagonal panelled stem widens above like a palm to octagonal drum (with timber door) which has broad bands of foliage top, bottom and up the corners, narrow panels originally undecorated but symbols of royal authority added with the initials of Charles II. 19th century timber eagle lectern with carved decoration to stem and base. Brass lectern in south transept chapel. Low screen to south transept made up from pieces of 17th century panelling, and chapel there includes a panelled stall dated 1630. South transept has altar dating from 1902 and contemporary ornate reredos built in same style and colour scheme as nearby rood screen and includes a ceramic mosaic. North transept altar and reredos erected 1957. Gothic-style municipal benches of 1815 have been moved from the chancel to the nave. Plain 14th century stone font with circular stem and octagonal bowl. 19th century gas lights with ornate wrought-iron brackets. Brass candelabra in nave from 1708. Towards west end of nave, a 19th century timber arch with Gothic decoration under the gallery, probably contemporary with the glazed tower screen and vaulted ceiling to the tower porch. At west end of the south aisle 2 large painted charity boards recording charitable bequests between 1490-1700, the larger one a former reredos surmounted by a wooden model of a bible open at Luke VII, and flanked by Commandment boards; above it a very large painting, "The Widow's Son" by William Brockedon (1787-1854) of Totnes; also here an ancient chest and the old municipal fire engine, a Newsham model of 1737. Chancel and nave have hatchments of the Seale family.
Memorials: The chancel floor includes one of the most important brasses in Devon, commemorating John Hawley, shipowner, 3-times Mayor of Dartmouth and major benefactor of the church, (died 1408); he is represented in armour flanked by his 2 wives under an arcade of tall cusped ogee canopies. Nearby another brass commemorating the death of Gilbert Staplehill in 1637. Several good ledger stones, but the oldest and most interesting is a fragment of a slate slab near the pulpit engraved with the figure of a priest in eucharistic vestments. Oldest mural monuments are in the chancel - on the north side, small monument to Nicholas Hayman (died 1606) has pilasters enriched with ribbonwork and cartouche below carved with emblems of mortality; on south side, large marble memorial to Walter Jago (died 1733) has Corinthian pilasters to open pediment, fluted consoles and cartouche, and smaller one below to Edward Hanbury (died 1767), shaped with urn at the top and arms below. Good monument in north transept to Roger Vavasoir (died 1696) and son Henry (died 1727), signed by Jo. Westone; Corinthian pilasters to moulded cornice and open segmental pediment with central flaming urn and allegoric figures on the pediment, tearful putti on the sill, and massive console brackets flanking a heraldic cartouche. Large late 17th century-style monument in the south transept apparently commemorating the refurbishment of the chapel in 1902 by William Taylor and his wife Elizabeth. Other 19th century monuments in the gallery.
Glass: Much of the glass was blown out by bombs in 1943. Some 19th century glass survived and subsequent 20th century glass, notably in south chapel, 1969 by A Attwood. Only fragments survive of 17th century heraldic glass in the aisles and includes an oval glass plaque recording the payment for window glass by the merchant Thomas Pagge in 1634. The church forms the focus for the New Quay area of Dartmouth where several houses survive with architectural parallels to the 17th century carpentry and joinery in the church. Some of the houses were occupied by the merchant families who are commemorated in the church.

Waterhouse, R., Unknown, Dartmouth Conservation Area: Archaeology, 5 (Un-published). SDV355585.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV134840Article in Serial: Keyser, C. E.. 1898. On the Panel Paintings of Saints on the Devonshire Screens. Archaeologia. 56. Unknown. 183-222.
SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 457,460-1,489-90.
SDV155627List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 1.
SDV15725Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1954. Supplementary Notes on the Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon (Fourth Paper). Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 86. A5 Hardback. 176-7.
SDV16199Monograph: Prince, J.. 1810. Worthies of Devon. Worthies of Devon. Unknown. 447-9.
SDV172925Article in Serial: Rogers, W. H. H.. 1906 - 1907. The memorial brasses found in the churches of Stoke Fleming, St Saviour and St Petrock, Dartmouth. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 4. Unknown. 66-69.
SDV172950Article in Serial: Watkin, H. R.. 1911. The foundation and early history of Dartmouth and Kingswear churches. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 43. A5 Hardback. 154-60.
SDV176861Report - Assessment: Weddell, P. J. + Turton, S. D.. 1992. Preliminary Archaeological Assessment of Dartmouth Sewage Treatment Works. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 92.56. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.
SDV177422Pamphlet: Edwards, T.. 1998. Hawley's Fortalice: Dartmouth's first castle. Dartmouth History Research Group Papers. 24. A5 Unbound. 6.
SDV19516Article in Serial: Loftus-Brock, E. P.. 1883. The Peculiarities of the Ancient Churches of Devonshire. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 39. Unknown. 27-34.
SDV239594Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1927. Sixteenth Report on Church Plate. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 59. A5 Hardback. 95.
SDV312427Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1987. DAP/IB. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 6.
SDV319967Report - Assessment: Stephenson, G.. 2001. Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 4995. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 322.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 113-4.
SDV336363Report - Watching Brief: Watts, M. A.. 1999. Archaeological Recording during Drainage Works at St Saviour's Church, Dartmouth. Exeter Archaeology Report. 99.25. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV337580Article in Serial: Martin, M.. 1980. Changes in the waterfront of Dartmouth 1000 to 1970. The Mariner's Mirror. 66. Unknown. 129-36.
SDV339563Article in Serial: Newman,. 1869. On the Antiquity of Dartmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 3. Unknown. 133.
SDV340009Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2008. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108652 ]
SDV340977Article in Serial: Watkin, H. R.. 1935. Dartmouth:1, Pre-Reformation. Parochial Histories of Devonshire. 5. Unknown. 451; plate 11.
SDV341069Article in Serial: Longden, H.. 1890. Archaeological Journal. 47. Unknown. 138.
SDV341070Article in Serial: R. B. M.. 1928 - 1929. A low side window. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 15. Unknown. 356.
SDV341072Article in Serial: Kent, J. P. C.. 1949. Monumental Brasses: a new classification of military effiges. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 12. Unknown. 94.
SDV341073Article in Serial: Gardiner, D. A.. 1966. John Hawley of Dartmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 98. A5 Paperback. 173.
SDV341074Article in Serial: Pistono, S. P.. 1979. Henry IV and John Hawley, Privateer, 1399-1408. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 111. A5 Paperback. 147.
SDV341076Pamphlet: Unknown. 1990. St. Saviour's Church, Dartmouth. A5 Unbound.
SDV341080Article in Serial: Roscoe Gibbs. 1908 - 1909. The Arms of Dartmouth and their origin. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 5. Unknown. 137, 139, 141.
SDV341081Article in Serial: Morris-Drake, F.. 1908 - 1909. Dartmouth Arms. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 5. Unknown. 223.
SDV346988Correspondence: Child, R.. 1998. St Saviour Dartmouth. Letter from English Heritage. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV352452Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Dartmouth - Walk about in the Conservation Area & Exploring Dartmouth and Kingswear. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 35, 37.
SDV355585Un-published: Waterhouse, R.. Unknown. Dartmouth Conservation Area: Archaeology. Digital. 5.
SDV56474Article in Serial: Pengelly, W.. 1876. Devonshire Gleanings from 'Notes and Queries'. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 8. A5 Paperback. 714.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 455.
SDV65364Article in Serial: Lamb, S.. 1957. Some notes on 18th century furnishings in the parish churches of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 217.
SDV84760Article in Serial: Corbould, P.. 1968. The Monumental Brasses of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 100. A5 Paperback. 32-40; plate 2.

Associated Monuments

MDV62400Parent of: Wall Painting, St Saviour's Parish Church (Monument)
MDV104329Parent of: War Memorial in St. Saviour's Church (Monument)
MDV62401Related to: Burial at St Saviour's Parish Church, Dartmouth (Monument)
MDV103826Related to: Burial Vault, St Saviour's Church (Monument)
MDV42286Related to: Churchyard, St Saviour's Parish Church, Dartmouth (Building)
MDV108505Related to: Dartmouth (Monument)
MDV8550Related to: Medieval Cross in St Saviour's Churchyard (Building)
MDV15638Related to: St Clement's Church, Townstal, Dartmouth (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Mar 11 2019 11:13AM