HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8562
Name:The Guildhall, Dartmouth

Summary

Guildhall, now municipal offices, originally subscription rooms and school. Dated 1849.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 875 513
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/34
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387398

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1849 AD to 1883 AD (Between))
  • GUILDHALL (XX - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Russell, P., 1950, The New Quay at Dartmouth (1584-1640), 290 (Article in Serial). SDV341025.


Department of Environment, 1972, Dartmouth, 44 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV155627.

1849, gabled 2-storey stone building, originally a school.


Pistono, S. P., 1979, Henry IV and John Hawley, Privateer, 1399-1408, 147 (Article in Serial). SDV341074.


Smart, I. H., 1991, The Many Ancient Guildhalls of Dartmouth, 32-6; figures 2-6 (Article in Serial). SDV340290.

Guildhall No 5 in Dartmouth was established in the lower rooms of the British School in 1902. A small 2-storey extension completed in 1909. Still houses Dartmouth Town Council. The British School was built in 1848 but by 1863 the north face began to collapse and major works had to be undertaken. The Guidhall took over the building in 1902 and an eastern extension was added in 1909. Most local government fuctions were transferred to South Hams District Council in 1974 but the Guildhall remained in use by Dartmouth Town Council.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Guildhall, now municipal offices, originally subscription rooms and school. Dated 1849. Local limestone rubble with Bathstone dressings; slate roof. Exterior: Restrained Tudor style. 2 storeys. Main block has symmetrical 2:2:2 window front with an extra bay to left in taller block; all stone 3-light mullion-and-transom windows, now containing plate glass. Centre 2 window section breaks forward slightly to contain large central Tudor-arch doorway, with the date of 1849 carved onto a plaque directly above. First-floor windows now converted to doorways with upper lights retained as mullioned overlights, and secondary balcony shelters main doorway below. Gable over. Balcony and steps both sides have ornate cast-iron railings. String course at first-floor level interrupted by 2 large weathered buttresses each side. Main roof is gable-ended and steps up to a higher level over left end bay. Front and end gables with shaped kneelers and coping and 2 ventilators with small spires projecting through the ridge of the main block. Right end contains a first-floor 4-light window similar to those on the front. Interior not inspected. A tall stone boundary wall extends westward from the right-hand end and includes a stone Tudor-arched doorway. This building is one of a good group of buildings dating from the second quarter of the 19th century lining New Road (now Victoria Road), which was built in 1825 to enable, for the first time, horse-drawn carriages in and out of town.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV155627List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 44.
SDV340290Article in Serial: Smart, I. H.. 1991. The Many Ancient Guildhalls of Dartmouth. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 123. A5 Paperback. 32-6; figures 2-6.
SDV341025Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1950. The New Quay at Dartmouth (1584-1640). Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 82. A5 Hardback. 290.
SDV341074Article in Serial: Pistono, S. P.. 1979. Henry IV and John Hawley, Privateer, 1399-1408. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 111. A5 Paperback. 147.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108668 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV42988Related to: Former Chapel and Guildhall (Monument)
MDV42295Related to: Former Duke Street Assembly Rooms (Monument)
MDV42293Related to: Former Guildhall in Higher Street (Monument)
MDV42288Related to: Medieval Guildhall, Dartmouth (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 28 2013 1:28PM