HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV8564
Name:MANOR HOUSE in the Parish of Dittisham

Summary - not yet available


Grid Reference:SX 863 536
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDittisham
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishDITTISHAM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/36
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172209.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)388.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172210.

Copeland, g. W. /tda/97(1965)29-30/proceedings at the 103rd. Annual meeting.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172211.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172212.

Lysons, d. + s. /magna britannia/6 pt 2(1822)164.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172213.

Copeland, g. W. /trans. Plymouth inst. /21(1947-9)111.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172214.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/43(1911)191,205,207/the early history of the hundred of colridge.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172215.

Doe/hhr:totnes rd/(1970)12.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV172216.

Des=slides(23/9/1983)in smr.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Bosomzeal, remains of a mansion. Listed in 'place names of devon' as bosums hele and robert bosum held the manor in 1395. Vis=3/12/1952 (os) original walls about 1.0m thick and extend to roof level. North end by interior wall of similar thickness and is alleged to have been the chapel of the manor. There are three mullioned windows on the front south west side, and evidence of a fourth just above the central porch to the front door. The roof of this and the remainder of the farm buildings is also very old, but appears to be of later construction than the manor. Vis=estimated -/-/1965 (copeland,g. W. ) now a farm house it still contains traces of a hall, with a good 15th. Century inner doorway, a newel staircase, and some later windows of the 16th. Century. Record of holdings and descents in 13th and 14th centuries given. Mentioned in "testa de nevil". Licences for private chapel granted in 1396 and 1408.(reichel). Vis=pre 1970 (doe).16th century, of irregular plan. Slate roofs, central stone stack. Sashes, casements, some original stone mullioned windows with labels.4-window front. Open fireplaces. At upper end of hall pointed stone doorway leads to newel staircase. Remains of original arch braced roof in attic. Gabled porch. Vis=23/9/1983 (griffith, f. M. ). This house has obviously been a very grand one in the past. Now being renovated, and a record of the fabric being made by j. Thorp of eafu. A few slides taken.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV172209Migrated Record:
SDV172210Migrated Record:
SDV172211Migrated Record:
SDV172212Migrated Record:
SDV172213Migrated Record:
SDV172214Migrated Record:
SDV172215Migrated Record:
SDV172216Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM