HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV86272
Name:The Old Coaching House, Chudleigh


The Old Coaching House, formerly the Clifford Arms, was built in 1808 following a great fire in Chudleigh in 1807. The interior has been modernised.


Grid Reference:SX 867 794
Map Sheet:SX87NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishChudleigh
Ecclesiastical ParishCHUDLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PUBLIC HOUSE (Built, XIX - 1808 AD to 1808 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Clifford Arms Hotel marked. The main hotel building comprises a large building fronting the Fore Street with associated long ranges of buildings to the rear along the northern and southern boundaries.

Steinmetzer, M., 2014, Archaeological Investigation on Land Behind 25 Fore Street, Chudleigh, Devon (Report - Evaluation). SDV356484.

The late 19th century Ordnance Survey map shows that the burgage plots, narrow strips of land that are a typical feature of medieval planned towns, are well preserved in the property boundaries along
Fore Street. Little is known of the areas development prior to the early 19th century. The town was severely damaged by fire in 1807. By the time of the 1838 Tithe Map the site is occupied by the Clifford Arms Hotel, the property comprising three separate buildings with the hotel along the street frontage and two long ranges at the rear along the north and south boundaries. By 1890 these ranges had been rebuilt or significantly altered. The southern boundary which still stands today may well incorporate parts of the earlier buildings shown on the 1838 and 1890 maps but most of the buildings have been replaced by more recent additions of concrete block construction.
A watching brief on foundation trenches and the excavation of five trenches revealed only limited evidence for archaeological activity. Extensive deposits of building debris and imported modern made ground suggest that the site has been extensively remodelled since the 19th century. Wall foundations were identified in Trenches 1, 2, 3 and 4 which appear to represent two building ranges as depicted on 19th and early 20th century mapping together with the remains of a cobbled surface which was probably associated with these buildings.
Evidence for earlier activity was confined to the northern end of the site (Trench 1) where a single ditch terminus, the remains of a medieval burgage plot boundary, and posthole were exposed. These contained pottery dating from the late 13th to 16th centuries.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

The Old Coaching House (formerly listed as Clifford Arms). Public house. Completed 1808 for Richard Rose, landlord, with compensation money after the 1807 great fire of Chudleigh. Late C20 internal alterations and rear additions. Plastered stone, whitewashed and blocked out; slate roof, gabled at ends; end stacks, axial stack. Rectangular on plan with entrance to left of centre, the original internal plan no longer survives. The 1952 list description refers to an "entrance hall and lounge with bow windows to bar". 2 storeys. 4-bay asymmetrical front with regular fenestration. Doric porch with panelled soffit in first bay from the left with steps up to a wide, segmental arched door. The left and right hand bays have 2-storey bows with tripartite sashes (some panes blocked). Other windows are 12-pane sashes with margin glazing, 1 window has C20 glazing. Interior Thoroughly modernized. The "good contemporary staircase and woodwork" referred to in the 1952 list description no longer exist. Details of the rebuilding of 1808 are given in A. Crockett's book about the great fire of Chudleigh.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV356484Report - Evaluation: Steinmetzer, M.. 2014. Archaeological Investigation on Land Behind 25 Fore Street, Chudleigh, Devon. Oakford Archaeology. 14-04. A4 Bound + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV107006Related to: Cobbled Surface at The Old Coaching House, Chudleigh (Monument)
MDV107003Related to: Medieval Ditch at The Old Coaching House, Chudleigh (Monument)
MDV107004Related to: Medieval Posthole at The Old Coaching House, Chudleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6465 - Archaeological Recording on Land Behind 25 Fore Street, Chudleigh (Ref: 1145)

Date Last Edited:May 14 2014 9:51AM