HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV86816
Name:Courtyard of Farmbuildings, Upton Farmhouse

Summary

Range of farmbuildings, 18th century with 19th and 20th century alterations. These traditional farm buildings form an attractive group with the adjacent farmhouse, and are unusual since they still have their thatch roofs.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 021 005
Map Sheet:ST00SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClyst St. Lawrence
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCLYST ST.LAWRENCE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVIII to XX - 1701 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Morgan, D., 1996, Reallocated Grant Monies - Historic Buildings Grants Budget (Correspondence). SDV354406.

The linhay at Upton farm is one of 18 listed linhays built between 1700 and 1800 in East Devon, and it is one of the few such buildings that date from the early part of that century. It is also one of the 85 cob linhays in the county and only one of 18 in East Devon. More importantly it is one of only 26 surviving thatched linhays in the county and only one of nine in the district of East Devon. Approval sought for re-thatching.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

Range of farmbuildings. C18 with C19 and C20 alterations. Red cob on stone rubble footings, some C20 brick rebuilding; thatch roof. Plan: 3 sides of the farm courtyard are enclosed. The south side of courtyard is separated from the farmhouse forecourt by a tall plastered cob wall. It extends eastwards from the north end of the house front. The east side is a milking parlour converted from a linhay. The north side is a threshing barn with a full height carriageway between the barn and milking parlour. Exterior: the barn has central opposing full height doorways on the threshing floor. The plank double doors onto the farm courtyard are C19 with flaps. The front is now mostly obscured by C20 calf houses. The front of the milking parlour is C20 and circa 1 metre in front of the original timber-framed linhay front which has been mostly destroyed. Interior: the barn and milking parlour roofs are made up of A-frame trusses. Those over the carriageway and milking parlour have pegged lap-jointed collars and those over the barn have spiked lap-jointed collars. These traditional farm buildings form an attractive group with the adjacent Upton farmhouse (q.v) and are unusual since they still have their thatch roofs.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV354406Correspondence: Morgan, D.. 1996. Reallocated Grant Monies - Historic Buildings Grants Budget. Applications to DCC Historic Buildings Grants Budget. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108765 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV87057Related to: Upton Farmhouse and adjoining Outhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 15 2015 9:29AM