HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8697
Name:The Priory, Abbotskerswell

Summary

Early 19th century house remodelled and extended as priory in 1861 with a chapel added in 1863. Now in use as a retirement village.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 863 690
Map Sheet:SX86NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAbbotskerswell
Civil ParishNewton Abbot
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWOLBOROUGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX86NE/36
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PRIORY (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

St. Augustine's Priory recorded on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map. The Priory Lodge, Chapel of our Lady of Lourdes (R.C), Chapel of the Holy Ghost (R.C) and a burial ground are also marked.

Department of Environment, 1983/1986, Newton Abbot (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350227.

St. Augustine's priory. The core is an early 19th century villa of two storeys stuccoed. Slate roof. Sashes, some with splayed bays and tinted iron verandah to the ground floor. Around this from 1863 onwards was built an assemblage of monastic buildings for an order of augustican nuns from lourais. Architect J. A. Hanson. Two to three storeys stone rubble with brick dressings and slate roofs with gables and dormers. Central octagonal clock tower in west wing. The chapel has a very tall stone reredos rather like an eleanor's cross. Octagonal chapter house.

Reed, S. J. + Turton, S. D., 2001, Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site. Part 1 Overview, 29, Fig. 8 (Site 3) (Report - Assessment). SDV336226.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

St. Augustines Priory. Early 19th century house, remodelled and extended as priory in 1861, with chapel of 1863 by JA Hansom. The chapel by JA Hansom was consecrated in 1863. MATERIALS: stone rubble with freestone and brick dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: monastic buildings built around an early 19th century house which remains at the core. EXTERIOR: 3-storey and attic west wing has mansard roof; 5:1:5 bays, the centre a large projecting tower with an arched entrance and broached corners to the bottom stage with an octagonal upper stage which has a slate roof with half-hipped gables and surmounted by a helm spire with a clock face. The five windows to left and right have pointed arch heads to first floor, tented-roof verandah to ground floor and half-hipped dormers in mansard roof. Chapel to the east has a gabled clerestory with geometric traceried windows and a large octagonal tower over the east end with buttresses at corners and arcaded lights; squat slate-roofed octagonal tower with quatrefoil windows and a central octagonal wooden lantern. Early 19th century two-storey house is at the centre of the monastic buildings and has slate roof, stuccoed front with sash windows, some splayed bays and a tented-roof iron verandah to the ground floor. INTERIOR: outstanding interiors of the chapel and chapter house are completely intact; the nave of the chapel has an arched-brace roof on colonettes and large angel corbels. FITTINGS: complete, including a remarkable gothic altar by CA Buckler lit from a lantern above over a the large octagonal tower which is supported on stilted arches with marble and banded columns with carved capitals. There may be interior features of interest in other parts of the building. HISTORY: the Priory was the principal house of the Augustinian English Cannonesses Regular established in 1861.
Date listed: 22nd March 1983.

Teignbridge District Council, 2021, 21/00584/LBC (Planning Application). SDV364252.

The design and access statement sumitted with a planning application for reroofing indicates that the former priory is now in use as a retirement village. Accompanying photos show the Victorian gothic design of the buildings around the earlier 19th century villa.

National Monuments Record, Unknown, SX8669 (Aerial Photograph). SDV298822.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SX86NE39 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV350226.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV298822Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record. Unknown. SX8669.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336226Report - Assessment: Reed, S. J. + Turton, S. D.. 2001. Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site. Part 1 Overview. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.80. A4 Stapled + Digital. 29, Fig. 8 (Site 3).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #108777 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350226Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SX86NE39. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV350227List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983/1986. Newton Abbot. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV364252Planning Application: Teignbridge District Council. 2021. 21/00584/LBC. Teignbridge District Council. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4912 - Archaeological Assessment of Bovey Basin Mineral Site

Date Last Edited:Apr 14 2021 1:32PM