HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8708
Name:The Barn Owl Inn, formerly Manor Farmhouse

Summary

Farmhouse with 17th century origins much altered in the later 20th century when it was converted to an inn. Retains a late 17th century plaster ceiling.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 876 689
Map Sheet:SX86NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingskerswell
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishABBOTSKERSWELL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX86NE/45
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XX - 1601 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Reichel, O. J., 1908, The Hundred of Haytor in the time of 'Testa de Nevil' AD1244, 125 (Article in Serial). SDV156533.


Ministry of Works, 1952, Newton Abbot RD, 66-67 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV349034.

Manor Farm (with barns).18th century or earlier. Two storeys, roughcast with slate roof. Two blocks, one higher and probably later, of stone, the other of cob, with hipped roof and pigeon holes below. Ground floor windows with drip moulds. Stone barns at rear.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Now a public house called The Barn Owl.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Barn Owl Inn. Originally farmhouse. 17th century with late 17th, 18th and 19th/20th century additions, much altered in 20th century. Rendered rubble and cob walls. Asbestos slate roof, gabled to left and to rear wing, half hipped to right. Rendered brick stack at left hand gable end and axial to left of centre. Rear lateral rendered rubble stack and projecting gable end stack to rear wing, both have brick shafts. Originally 3-room and through passage plan with hall heated by rear lateral stack and lower room (to left) by gable end stack. Extended by 1 room at lower end in late 17th century, probably at this stage front wall of hall, passage and lower room built out. Probably 18th century heated wing added at rear of lower room. 19th/20th century outshuts at rear of hall/inner room. The original room layout was much altered in later 20th century when the house was converted to an inn : passage was removed and also hall/inner room partition. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 6-window front; original block to right, right hand end of which is recessed. Taller late 17th century block to left, roof may have been raised; this has 2-window front of 20th century 3-light casements with glazing bars, slight projection between the windows. Main section has 2-light 20th century casements on first floor, far right is 1 light. 3 and 4 lights on ground floor, left hand ground floor window has 20th century reproduction hoodmould above. 20th century part glazed door to left of centre. Interior: hall fireplace has ovolo moulded wooden lintel with hollow step stops. Chamfered cross beams with run-out stops. Left-hand room in addition has good quality late 17th century 2-panel plaster ceiling. Each panel has central oval wreath of bay leaves with stylised flower at the centre. Thin-ribbed panels at each corner. Coved cornice of acanthus leaves. This room was reputedly originally panelled. The interest of this building lies chiefly in the complete good quality late 17th century plaster ceiling whose existence is disguised by the considerably altered exterior. Date listed: 17th July 1987.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SX86NE5 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV350230.

Site visit 17th November 1952. he walls of the house are stone, and roughcast, modern windows have been inserted, though two each retain a dripstone moulding over the top. The whole house appears to have been built or rebuilt in the same period, and is outwardly similar to the 17th century farmhouses in the area.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV156533Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1908. The Hundred of Haytor in the time of 'Testa de Nevil' AD1244. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 40. A5 Hardback. 125.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #108787 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349034List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Ministry of Works. 1952. Newton Abbot RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 66-67.
SDV350230Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SX86NE5. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments

MDV21725Related to: Aller Manor House, Kingskerswell (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 27 2012 10:54AM