HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8769
Name:St Winifred's Church, Manaton

Summary

The earliest mention of a church at Manaton is in the 13th century but the present church dates to the 15th century. The lych gate and churchyard walls probably date to the 17th century. The church was extensively rebuilt following extensive storm damage in 1779. It was restored in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 749 812
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishManaton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMANATON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615310
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/47
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIV to XV - 1400 AD to 1499 AD (Between))
  • SUNDIAL (Post Medieval to XX - 1540 AD to 1950 AD? (Between))
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (XVII - 1698 AD to 1698 AD (Between))

Full description

King, R. J., 1874, The Birthplace of Wynfrith or St. Boniface, 73 (Article in Serial). SDV124364.

Dedication to St. Winifred challenged. Likely to have been to St. Wynfrith rather than to this obscure Welsh saint whose legend did not come in to existence before 12th century.


Windeatt, E., 1896, Early Nonconformity in Ashburton, 230-231 (Article in Serial). SDV304153.

St. Winifred. Monument in the south aisle to Mr Eastchurch. Inscribed:- 'Here lieth the body of Richard Eastchurch Master of Arts who was Rector of this parish 37 years died the 11th day of February ano d 1698 aged 61'.


Keyser, C. E., 1898, On the Panel Paintings of Saints on the Devonshire Screens, 183-222 (Article in Serial). SDV134840.


Bligh Bond, F., 1902, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts, 474 (Article in Serial). SDV15462.

St. Winifred the Abbess. Perpendicular screen. Enrichment in cornices. Some ancient colour and gilding.


Sanders, J. C. B., 1910-1911, Manaton Church, 254 (Article in Serial). SDV304147.

Figures on the screen have been mutilated.


Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 470, 480, 487, 489 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Fryer Cornelius, C., 1946, Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot, 123-152 (Article in Serial). SDV312246.


Fryer Cornelius, C., 1947, Fittings, Furnishings and Finishings of the Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot, 81-89 (Article in Serial). SDV312247.


Fryer Cornelius, C., 1951, Mediaeval Effigies and other Sepulchral Memorials in the Parish Churches within a Ten-Mile Radius of Newton Abbot, 217-234 (Article in Serial). SDV339049.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 203 (Monograph). SDV336217.

All granite ashlar, two storeyed south porch vaulted. North and south aisles of a type, with depressed arches, very Cornish.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 431 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Parish Church of Manaton, St. Winifred 'has a typical granite interior of the late 15th century, with wagon roofs having carved bosses'. Very fine rood screen, approximately 1490, with interesting detail. Eleven bays, extending across nave and both aisles.


Crowley, J., 1961, Sundials in South Devon, 280 (Article in Serial). SDV4705.

Sundial. Parish church. Undated. Poor condition.


Department of Environment, 1987, Manaton, 40-41 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV303187.

Church of St. Winifrid, Manaton. 15th century although probably in varying stages, chancel destroyed by lightning in 1779 and rebuilt, major church restorations in 1865 and 1923 by Sir Charles Nicholson and further in 1925. Mainly granite ashlar construction with rendered tower. Dressed granite and volcanic stone detail to doors and windows. Nave and chancel have slate roofs, aisles have lead roofs. Nave, north and south aisles with chapels and west tower; storeyed porch to south largely perpendicular, aisles possibly added at slightly different stages. Unbuttressed tower in three stages with embattled parapet and octagonal polygonal stair turret on south side with slit openings. Good interior.
Very fine late 15th century richly carved timber screen extending across nave and both aisles.
Four 15th century stained glass figures in top of north aisle window, second from the left, glass below dated 1883. In the chancel is a marble slab in memory of Richard Eastchurch, Rector, 1698 with a carved coat of arms.
See List for full details.


Brooke, R. + Bellamy, P., 2002, New Water Supply Pipe, St. Winifred's Church, Manaton, Devon. Archaeological Observations and Recording (Report - Watching Brief). SDV303188.

Church at Manaton first mentioned in 1288 but present church dates from 15th century with extensive restoration after storm damage in 1779 and further restoration in 1865 and 1893. An archaeological watching brief was undertaken during the construction of a new water supply in 2002. The pipe ran from the east churchyard wall to the north side of the church. No archaeological features or artefacts were observed.
An archaeological watching brief was undertaken during the construction of a new water supply to the church. The watermain ran from the east churchyard wall to the north side of the church. No archaeological features or finds including human bones were observed.


Bellamy, P., 2003, St. Winifred's Church, Manaton, Devon. Observations and Recording during Re-Rendering of the West Tower (Report - Watching Brief). SDV303189.

The earliest mention of the church is in the 13th century but the present church dates to the 15th century. The lych gate and churchyard walls probably date to the 17th century. The church was extensively rebuilt following extensive storm damage in 1779 . Restoration works took place in 1865 and 1893 and 1925 and the tower was rendered in the 20th century in order to cure damp problems.
Observations and recording undertaken during the re-rendering of the west tower and part of the south aisle and porch. The lower two stages of the tower proved to be of granite ashlar and part of the original 15th century tower. The third stage is of granite rubble and probably dates to the rebuilding carried out following extensive storm damage in 1779. The south porch retains its original fabric but the west end of the south aisle has been rebuilt.
Archaeological monitoring at St. Winifreds parish church was undertaken by Terrain Archaeology in 2002 during re-rendering of the west tower, part of the south aisle and the south porch. The lower stages of the west tower of granite ashlar were part of the original 15th century tower. The third granite rubble stage represents rebuilding after storm damage in 1779. The belfry windows were reset on the south, east and west sides with a new window constructed on the north side. The south porch was found to retain original fabric. The west end of the south aisle had been rebuilt in rubble and an original west window in the south aisle had been blocked.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Church of St. Winifred. Parish Church. C15 although probably in varying stages, chancel destroyed by lightning in 1779 and re-built, major church restorations in 1865 and 1923 by Sir Charles Nicholson and further in 1925. Mainly granite ashlar construction with rendered tower. Dressed granite and volcanic stone detail to doors and windows. Nave and chancel have slate roofs, aisles have lead roofs. Nave, north and south aisles with chapels and west tower; storeyed porch to south largely Perpendicular, aisles possibly added at slightly different stages. Area around south aisle Chapel and priest door to chancel subject to considerable alterations; south chapel partly impinges on priest door. This could be due either to the chapel being added on to the chancel or the rebuilding of the chancel after 1779. Unbuttressed tower in 3 stages with embattled parapet and octagonal polygonal stair turret on south side with slit openings. 2 simple 2-light belfry openings with 4 centred heads. At ringing stage is small rectangular window opening on south side. 3-light Perpendicular west window appears to be unrestored, jambs are granite, the rest volcanic stone. West doorway has 2 centred granite arch with hollow and roll moulding. The south aisle has set back buttress with offsets and parapet with moulded granite battlements continuing round the porch and polygonal rood stair turret projection. Chamfered plinth extending right around the church. On the eastern and western windows of the south aisle the tracery is C19 replacement in Bath stone and the central window is a complete C19 replacement in Perpendicular style. The west end window has carved headstops to the hoodmould one of which has been mutilated. Original hoodmould to easterly south aisle window whose sill appears to have been raised when window was rebuilt. Rood stair turret projects from south aisle. Porch has set back buttresses with off-sets and moulded 2- centred arched granite doorway. The north aisle windows have probably C20 replacement mullions and transoms late C19 hoodmould with carved headstops on north aisle window. Wall cut away below to allow access to priest door adjoining in chancel wall which has a rounded arch and hollow and roll moulding with stops. Chancel east window late C19 3-light with Decorated star tracery and hood-moulded with eared stops, all in Bath stone. Good interior: stone vaulted porch with moulded ribs, round shafts have moulded capitals and bases which rest on granite seats either side. Holy water stoup on south aisle wall partially blocked by addition of porch. South door has 4 centred arch with hollow and round moulding and cushion stops. 4 bay arcades to either aisle with Pevsner A-type moulded piers, double chamfered 4-centred arches. North arcade has shallow moulded capitals and cushion bases with keels at each corner. South arcade has deep moulded capitals and square bases. No chancel arch. Tower arch possible earlier than arcades, has double hollow and roll moulding with fillet in between on cushion bases. Original roof to nave and north aisle; ceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs and wall-plates, carved bosses at intersections and fleurons set at intervals into wall-plates on either side of nave. Last 2 bays of chancel roof rebuilt in C19 to form ceilure over sanctuary, painted , with carved bosses. Early C20 panelled roof to south aisle with bosses on ribs. Granite doorway from south aisle to porch chamber has 3 centred arched head. Doorways to rood stairs from north and south aisles has 4 centred arched heads. Original hollow chamfered granite rear arches to windows. Old plaster survives in north aisle and may include mural decoration. Very fine late C15 richly carved timber screen extending across nave and both aisles. Pevsner type A ogee-headed tracery. Coving much rebuilt but a considerable amount of the original double cornice is retained with running vine pattern. Much original painting survives although covered in places by later graining. The panels have painted figures and in the jambs and arch of the central doorway are carved figures underneath crocketed canopies. The original doors survive. The screen was restored in 1893 under the direction of Mr. Sedding of Plymouth, and again in 1924-25. Parclose screens to either chapel with square headed tracery and Tudor arches to doorways, also with traces of ancient colouring, possibly early C16. Reredos presented in 1897 by Mrs. Ffrench in memory of the Ffrench family, designed by Mr. G. Prynne and panels painted by E. Prynne: richly carved and gilded wooden panels in high Italian manner and painted with scenes of the nativity and crucifixion with crocketed canopies over the central panels. Late C19 pulpit and carved lecturn. Re-used linenfold panelling at west end of south aisle, probably late Clslearly C16. Church entirely re-seated in 1925. Organ presented in 1921 by Philip Champernowne in memory of his son-mahogany and satinwood with inlay, classical details. 4 C15 stained glass figures in top of north aisle window, second from the left, glass below dated 1883. Western window of south aisle has robust design in stained glass dated 1927. The east window of south aisle has a geometric pattern dated 1860. Small painted royal coat of arms on board over tower arch. There are a number of granite tomb stones in the floors of the nave, aisles and chancel. In the south aisle they are dated 1620, 1633, and 1672, one dated 1698 in the nave and 2 in the north aisle dated 1658 and 1676 where there is a third one with an illegible inscription but a carved heart in the centre. In the chancel is a marble slab in memory of Richard Eastchurch, rector, 1698 with a carved coat of arms. Simple C19 octagonal granite font. 3 medieval bells survive, one being cast at the Exeter foundry of Robert Norton about the the end of the C15. 2 others, dedicated to St. Catherine and to St. George, were probably cast locally by Johanna Hill, widow of a London bell-founder, and their marks indicate a date between 1440-43. Sources: Devon C19 Churches Project. Kelly's Directory 1893 and 1926. H Fulford Williams: "Notes on Parish of Manaton".


Unknown, post 1981, The Church of St. Winfred, Manaton. Historical Notes (Pamphlet). SDV361767.

Compilation of details about the church. Refers to cleaning and conservation of the roodscreen in 1980-1.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV124364Article in Serial: King, R. J.. 1874. The Birthplace of Wynfrith or St. Boniface. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 20. Unknown. 73.
SDV134840Article in Serial: Keyser, C. E.. 1898. On the Panel Paintings of Saints on the Devonshire Screens. Archaeologia. 56. Unknown. 183-222.
SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 470, 480, 487, 489.
SDV15462Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1902. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 34. Unknown. 474.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 431.
SDV303187List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Manaton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 40-41.
SDV303188Report - Watching Brief: Brooke, R. + Bellamy, P.. 2002. New Water Supply Pipe, St. Winifred's Church, Manaton, Devon. Archaeological Observations and Recording. Terrain Archaeology Report. 53099.1. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV303189Report - Watching Brief: Bellamy, P.. 2003. St. Winifred's Church, Manaton, Devon. Observations and Recording during Re-Rendering of the West Tower. Terrain Archaeology Report. 530881. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV304147Article in Serial: Sanders, J. C. B.. 1910-1911. Manaton Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 6. Unknown. 254.
SDV304153Article in Serial: Windeatt, E.. 1896. Early Nonconformity in Ashburton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 28. Unknown. 230-231.
SDV312246Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1946. Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 78. A5 Hardback. 123-152.
SDV312247Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1947. Fittings, Furnishings and Finishings of the Ancient Devon Parish Churches within a Ten Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 79. A5 Hardback. 81-89.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 203.
SDV339049Article in Serial: Fryer Cornelius, C.. 1951. Mediaeval Effigies and other Sepulchral Memorials in the Parish Churches within a Ten-Mile Radius of Newton Abbot. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 83. A5 Hardback. 217-234.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV361767Pamphlet: Unknown. post 1981. The Church of St. Winfred, Manaton. Historical Notes. Church Guide. Leaflet.
SDV4705Article in Serial: Crowley, J.. 1961. Sundials in South Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 93. A5 Hardback. 280.

Associated Monuments

MDV8774Related to: Church Cottage, Manaton (Building)
MDV34414Related to: Ledger stone in churchyard, Manaton (Monument)
MDV8775Related to: Medieval cross in churchyard of St Winifred's, Manaton (Monument)
MDV121011Related to: Rectory House, Manaton (Building)

Associated Finds

  • FDV4796 - STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (XIV to XV - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV6722 - Watching Brief at St. Winifred's Church, Manaton (Ref: 53099.1)
  • EDV6723 - Watching Brief at St. Winifred's Church, Manaton (Ref: 53088.1)

Date Last Edited:Sep 14 2018 11:40AM