HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8774
Name:Church Cottage, Manaton

Summary

Church House was given to the parish in 1597 by Thomas Southcott. Repaired in 1818 by the overseers and adapted as a poorhouse after having been an inn. Thought to have been used as a school between 1828-1859.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 749 812
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishManaton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMANATON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/99
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84995

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (XVI - 1597 AD to 1599 AD (Between))
  • INN (Altered, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD? to 1818 AD (Between))
  • WORKHOUSE (Altered, XIX - 1818 AD to 1834 AD (Between))
  • SCHOOL (Altered, XIX - 1828 AD to 1859 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Depicted on the Tithe Map; 523 on the apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century historic map shows a cottage constructed at the northern end.


Pearson, J. B., 1900, Church Houses in Devon, 210 (Article in Serial). SDV5752.

According to the records of the charity commissioners of 1818 it was then used as a poorhouse, the rent going to repairs to the church.


Copeland, G. W., 1960, Devonshire Church-Houses: Part 1, Figure 31 (Article in Serial). SDV298102.

The church house was given to the parish in 1597 by Thomas Southcott. Repaired in 1818 by the overseers and adapted as a poorhouse after having been an inn.


Copeland, G. W., 1963, Devonshire Church Houses: Part 4, 147 (Article in Serial). SDV7678.


Copeland, G. W., 1964, Devonshire Church Houses: Part 5, 205 (Article in Serial). SDV299096.


Department of Environment, 1987, Manaton, 43 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV303187.

Church Cottage (formerly listed as part of Ivy Cottage). House, formerly church house. 16th century-early probably remodelled in 18th century. Modernized late 20th century. Granite rubble walls with large dressed granite quoins. South gable wall rendered. Original plan much altered, layout of 18th century plan probably remains.
Plan: 2 room and central stair hall, each room heated by end stacks. Two storeys. Symmetrical 5 window front range. Three light c20 casements with glazing bars probably in c18 openings with squared timber lintels. 20th century thatched rustic wooden porch. Rear facade has asymmetrical fenestration, mostly disposed to the right-hand end. Much altered interior but contains 3 roughly dressed cross beams, 2 in right-hand ground floor room. 18th century 8 bay roof. See List for full details.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 38-9 (Monograph). SDV359884.

A church school was started in Manaton in 1828; which is thought to have taken place in a room in the Church House. The building had been an inn but was repaired and served as a poorhouse from 1818-1834. In 1833, there were 22 pupils, but by the early 1850s, this was reported to have dwindled to 10-15 and the school was found to be poor, with the children ignorant. A purpose-built school house was opened in 1859 just across the green.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Church Cottage is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 14/11/2016 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

MANATON MANATON SX 78 SW 4/62 - Church Cottage (formerly 23.8.55 listed as part of Ivy Cottage) GV II
House, formerly Church house. Early C16 probably remodelled in C18. Modernised late C20. Granite rubble walls with large dressed granite quoins. South gable wall rendered. Original plan much altered, layout of C18 plan probably remains.
Plan: 2-room and central stair hall, each room heated by end stacks. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-window front range. 3-light C20 casements with glazing bars probably in C18 openings with squared timber lintels. First floor centre is a 2-light casement. Central doorway with C20 plank door with timber lintel. C20 thatched rustic wooden porch. Rear facade has asymmetrical fenestration, mostly disposed to the right-hand end. Right-hand first floor has early C16 2-light granite-framed mullion window with 4- centred arched heads, hollow chamfered with recessed spandrels, possibly re-set. 2 reconstituted concrete mullion windows later C20 and 3 other smaller windows. Rear wall possibly not rebuilt to same extent as front one.
Interior: much altered but contains 3 roughly dressed cross beams, 2 in right-hand ground floor room. The one nearest the gable end rests on stone corbel at either end and has run-out stops and chamfer both sides, possibly re-used. C18 8-bay roof consisting of straight principals morticed at apex with straight collars, lapped and pegged to principals. Walter Besant wrote some of his novels here.
Although altered in C18, this is an interesting example of a Church house in a very important setting. Church house granted by deed dated 11 November 1597 to John Whiddon Sen., and others for ever. The last trust deed is dated 1809. As the house became dilapidated it was pulled down and then re-built as a poor-house at the expense of the parish Source: G W Copeland, Devonshire Church-Houses part VI, Trans. Devonshire Association Vol.XCVIII - 1966.

Listing NGR: SX7496281298.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV298102Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1960. Devonshire Church-Houses: Part 1. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 92. A5 Hardback. Figure 31.
SDV299096Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1964. Devonshire Church Houses: Part 5. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 96. A5 Paperback. 205.
SDV303187List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Manaton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 43.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #108866 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 14/11/2016.
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 38-9.
SDV5752Article in Serial: Pearson, J. B.. 1900. Church Houses in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 32. A5 Hardback. 210.
SDV7678Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1963. Devonshire Church Houses: Part 4. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 95. A5 Hardback. 147.

Associated Monuments

MDV34422Related to: Former School, Manaton (Building)
MDV77791Related to: Half Moon House, Manaton (Monument)
MDV34394Related to: Ivy Cottage, Manaton (Building)
MDV8769Related to: St Winifred's Church, Manaton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2018 3:16PM