HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV8835
Name:Higher Combe Cross, Lustleigh

Summary

Higher Combe cross consists of the head and arms of a simple medieval wayside cross, now set in a striking position on a boulder in a field which can be seen from the public road to the west. It is of particular interest because of its close proximity to a hollow way which may mark the line of an important medieval route.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 777 825
Map Sheet:SX78SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishLustleigh
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishLUSTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 445595
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SE/13
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 84586
  • Old SAM Ref: 24833

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Crossing, W., 1892, Old Stone Crosses of the Dartmoor Border, 134-5 (Monograph). SDV279564.

A cross fixed upon a granite rock near the centre of a field called ‘Cross Park’. It formerly stood in the bank close by, but was moved in 1860 by the occupier of the farm. It consists of the upper portion only, a great part of the shaft being missing. The cross is secured in to place by four iron clamps.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 326 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

Found near the centre of a field called 'cross park'. Type A. The head, arms and a small portion of the shaft of a Latin cross of rough rectangular section, mounted on a large boulder, where it was placed in 1860. It formerly stood in the bank of the same field. The greater part of the shaft is missing and it now stands only 28 inches in height. The shaft measures 11 inches by 9 inches and the arms project 6 inches on either side and 9 inches above the head.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950, SX78SE6 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV279565.

The remains of a typical Devon wayside cross.
The detail of Crossing (and Masson Phillips?) is entirely correct. The rock is now particularly overgrown by ivy and brambles. Its original site was not ascertained. No-one locally knew anything about the probably antiquity of the field’s name. The cross is sited at SX77768253. (7/5/1953)


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Cross is drepicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Higher Combe cross consists of the head and arms of a simple medieval wayside cross, now set in a striking position on a boulder in a field which can be seen from the public road to the west. It is of particular interest because of its close proximity to a hollow way which may mark the line of an important medieval route.
The monument includes the well preserved head, arms and portion of shaft of a medieval wayside granite cross set on a boulder in a field on the east side of a minor road leading from Lustleigh northwards towards Moretonhampstead. The total height of the cross is 0.69m. Its width across the arms, which are aligned north-south, is 0.65m. The shaft survives for only 0.18m below the arms and is neatly rectangular in section, measuring 0.32m by 0.26m. The head of the cross extends above the arms 0.22m, and has a width of 0.28m. The top of the head is slightly misshapen due to weathering or damage. Both arms extend 0.15m beyond the shaft and are 0.27m deep. The shaft is fixed onto a massive granite boulder (typical of the locality) by four iron clamps, one on each side, set in lead. The clamps extend 50mm- 70mm up the shaft of the cross. On its west side, the boulder is about 0.9m high. A few metres to the north and east of the boulder there is an ancient hollow way running down the hillslope. This may well have been an important route in medieval times, and the cross may originally have been sited beside it. The cross is said to have been found in the centre of the field in the 19th century and was fixed in its present position in 1860. The cross is a Listed Building Grade II. (From Schedule of Ancient Monments)
1/143 Cross-head about 250 metres - east of Higher Combe Farm- II
Cross-head with short piece of cross-shaft surviving, fastened to the top of a natural boulder lying in the middle of a field. Probably medieval. Granite. Plain cross-head, somewhat weathered.
Listing NGR: SX7776582534 (Listed Building text)

Sources / Further Reading

SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 326.
SDV279564Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1892. Old Stone Crosses of the Dartmoor Border. Old stone crosses of the Dartmoor border. Unknown. 134-5.
SDV279565Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950. SX78SE6. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #54209 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV78124Related to: Higher Combe farmstead, Lustleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 16 2016 10:52AM