HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89115
Name:St George's House, 8 Park Road, Tiverton

Summary

Early or mid 19th century house, with late 20th century rear wing. Now a residential care home for the elderly.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 956 131
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485330

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

House shown as 'Park Villa'.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Residential Care Home for the Elderly, formerly a private house. Early or mid 19th century, possibly the product of one or more enlargements; late 20th century rear wing. Solid, rendered walls. Slated, rendered walls. Slated roof. Rendered chimney at right-hand end. Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical seven-window front. Pedimented one window centre feature with two window wings, the left wing apparently brought forward level with the centre to insert a ground storey conservatory. Gabled one-window wing (probably a later addition) at left-hand end; one window, flat roofed section, slightly set back, on right. Ground storey (except for extreme right-hand section) rusticated, as is the whole of the pedimented centre feature. Windows mostly have moulded architraves, some with floral brackets below the sills, and barred sashes. Left wing has in ground storey (the conservatory) three round-arched windows with margin-panes and coloured glass. Wooden bay window with margin-panes in ground storey of gabled wing at extreme left-hand end. Centre feature has in centre of pediment a round window enclosed by a wreath; in ground storey is a gabled, glazed entrance porch. Rear elevation similar to front, with small-paned windows. Interior: considerably altered in late 19th or early 20th century and subsequently, but still retains cornices, ceiling bosses and panelled doors. Staircase (opening off front door) is late 19th or early 20th century with carved wooden balusters. Entrance hall and conservatory have patterned, coloured floor tiles. History: the house was formerly known as The White Lodge, and is marked on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of 1903 as Parkside.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 9 2012 2:59PM