HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89119
Name:Gates, Gate Piers and Boundary Wall, Tiverton Cemetery

Summary

Gates, gate piers at main entrance to Tiverton Cemetery, including boundary wall along Park Road. Probably 1855 or soon after, gates replaced in late 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 956 135
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485332

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BOUNDARY WALL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • GATE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • GATE PIER (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Gates, gate piers at main entrance to Tiverton Cemetery, including boundary wall extending for about 65 metres southwards along Park Road. Probably 1855, or soon after, by GA Boyce of Tiverton; gates replaced in late 19th century. Walls are of squared stone rubble with flat stone coping, except for a short quadrant section where the coping is of concrete. Gate piers and a similar pier set into the wall are of stone ashlar. Gate piers are tall and square in section, with chamfered and stopped corners; projecting, chamfered plinths, stepped pyramidial caps with small finials. Double iron gates with fleurs-de-lys finials to the uprights; matching overthrow lamp holder, now without the lamp. To the right is a short, straight stretch of wall with inset stone tablet inscribed THIS CEMETERY WAS OPENED IN 1855 & ENLARGED IN 1895. Beyond it the quadrant wall sweeps outward, finishing in a stretch of wall extending to the southern boundary of the cemetery. History: a letter written by GA Boyce to the Burial Board on 4.5.1858 refers to damage caused to the gates by high winds. The gates were clearly of wood; Boyce would evidently have preferred iron, had the money been available.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #108989 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV108707Part of: Tiverton Cemetery, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV89123Related to: Chapel, Tiverton Cemetery (Building)
MDV89122Related to: Monument to W R Haydon, Tiverton Cemetery (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 11 2014 12:32PM