HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89123
Name:Chapel, Tiverton Cemetery

Summary

Mid 19th century Anglo-Norman style chapel in Tiverton Cemetery, with a round arched doorway at the west end and and three single light, round-headed windows on each side.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 956 135
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485334

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CEMETERY CHAPEL (XIX - 1855 AD to 1855 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Mortuary Chapel (Church of England) shown.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Mortuary chapel. 1855 by GA Boyce of Tiverton. Squared purple-red stone rubble with Bath stone dressings. Slated roof. Anglo-Norman style. Exterior: nave has three single light, round-headed windows on each side, with three more on the apse. Flat buttresses between and flanking the windows. At west end a round-arched doorway with attached columns; double plank doors, studded and with ornate iron strap-hinges. Above it a similar, single light window. Stone cross on gable. On eastern gable the base of a former stone bell turret. Gutters carried on stone corbel tables carved with grotesque heads. Interior: has simple wooden pews at either side of a centre aisle, the pew-ends carved with quatrefoils. Wooden alter with trefoil-headed panels. Dado of upright planking. Arch-braced roof, the feet of the braces resting on moulded stone corbels. There may be patterned tiles under the fitted carpets. The chapel contains an old wooden coffin-carriage with iron wheels having solid rubber tyres. Brass maker's plate: DOTTRIDGE BROS. LTD. DORSET WORKS. EAST ROAD, LONDON, N. this was one of two chapels built by the Burial Board for the Parish of Tiverton `according to the plans and drawings relating thereto prepared by Mr Gideon Acland Boyce, the Architect to the said Burial Board'; that for the nonconformists has been demolished, that for the Church of England survives. HISTORY: Boyce's drawing for the nonconformist chapel (identical to the surviving one) is preserved in the Devon Record Office. It was approved in August 1855 and was to be finished, along with the other chapel, lodge and entrance gates, by 1 August 1856. Plans for re-seating both chapels were prepared by William Rowe of Tiverton in 1891, this being done, and the floors laid with decorative tiles, by 1892.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #108992 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV108707Part of: Tiverton Cemetery, Tiverton (Monument)
MDV89119Related to: Gates, Gate Piers and Boundary Wall, Tiverton Cemetery (Building)
MDV89122Related to: Monument to W R Haydon, Tiverton Cemetery (Building)
MDV89183Related to: Nonconformist Chapel, Tiverton Cemetery (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 11 2014 12:39PM