HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89199
Name:Memorial Rooms, St Peter Street, Tiverton

Summary

Memorial rooms, 1863, probably associated with the United Reformed (formerly Congregational) Church. Local grey limestone ashlar with a slate roof gabled at ends.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 953 125
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MEETING HALL (Built, XIX - 1863 AD to 1863 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Memorial rooms, probably associated with the United Reformed (formerly Congregational) Church. 1863 (datestone). Local grey limestone ashlar with a slate roof gabled at ends; coursed grey limestone chimney stack and shaft with cornice and three old terracotta pots. Early English style.
Plan: sited between No.2 St Peter Street (qv) and the United Reform Church (qv), forming an attractive 19th century group. The Memorial Rooms project forward from No.2, to the left (south) and are end on to the street with an entrance on the south side.
Exterior: three storeys. Symmetrical three-window front, gabled to the front with a coped gable with kneelers and a finial. Deep chamfered string courses at first and second-floor levels. Ground floor has a triple lancet with three large lights and a continuous hoodmould with label stops. Windows have horizontal glazing bars. Similar triple lancet to first floor with plaque at second floor string course with `Memorial Rooms' carved in Lombardic script. Similar first floor triple lancet, but here the centre light is taller and glazed with diamond leaded panes, possibly the original glazing pattern. The left (south) return is blind except for a two-centred doorway with a hoodmould. The door has vertical sunk panels and intersecting blind tracery in the tympanum. The rear elevation has two first and two second floor lancets with chamfered architraves. Interior: not inspected but may be of interest.


Watts, M., 2014, Church Rooms, St Peter Street, Tiverton, Devon, 4, 6-8; Figures 5-13 (Report - Survey). SDV357016.

The Church Rooms, also known as the School Rooms or Memorial Rooms, was built in 1837-8, and then enlarged by the addition of a third storey in 1862-3, which provided new class rooms. The building was partly gutted by fire in February 1962, which resulted in the loss of a south-facing gable and the roof. Renovation work, including new floors and a new roof, took place after the fire and the building remained in use alongside the church it was built to serve until 2012. See report for full details, including photographs and plans.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #109016 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV357016Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2014. Church Rooms, St Peter Street, Tiverton, Devon. Watts, M.. PST243. Digital. 4, 6-8; Figures 5-13.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6554 - Historic Building Evaluation of the Church Rooms, St Peter Street, Tiverton (Ref: PST243)

Date Last Edited:Apr 29 2015 11:42AM