HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89306
Name:The Old School, Chapel Street, Tiverton, formerly Brewin School

Summary

Former school, built 1848. Broad front range with entrance porch at left-hand end, late 19th century addition at rear.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 959 128
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485255

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (Built, XIX - 1848 AD to 1848 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Brewin School (Boys & Girls)' shown.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

'The Old School' shown.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Formerly known as: Brewin School Chapel Street. College building, originally a school. 1848, with late 19th century addition at rear. Stone rubble with dressings of squared stone; rear addition has red brick dressings. Lean-to at rear of front range is rendered. Cast-iron window sills. Slated roofs. Rendered chimney on lean-to behind main range.
Plan: broad front range, probably only one room deep, with entrance porch at left-hand end; small low range to left of porch. Rear wing (to left) with added building at right angles to it at the far end.
Exterior: front range two-storey; remainder single-storey. Four-window front. Tall ground-storey windows with raised keystones. Raised band between storeys. In upper storey the three left-hand windows extend up to the eaves, but that on right is shorter with a raised keystone. Ground-storey windows have 12-paned sashes; the three left-hand upper-storey windows have six-paned sashes, while the shorter window to right has eight-paned lower sash with one of four panes above. Gabled entrance porch has round-arched doorway with raised keystone. Double doors each leaf four-panelled and fanlight with radial glazing-bars; matching inner doors and fanlight. Plinth to right of porch has two cast-iron ventilator-grilles, designed to resemble Vitruvian scroll. Roof has deeply-projecting eaves-cornice; ventilator to left of roof-ridge with ogee top and finial. Gable-ends each have a round-headed window with raised keystone; small-paned sashes. Low range to left of entrance porch has one window at the front and one on its left side, both with raised keystones to match the main range; 12-paned sashes, except that the lower sash on the left side now has only one glazing-bar (horizontal). Rear wing (both sides visible from street) has on right side a triple-sashed window with a small-paned glazing; flat arch with raised keystone. Two similar windows on left side. The added building at right-angles to the wing has in its right-hand end-wall two tall windows with two-paned sashes; lower building in front of it has smaller window with six-paned sashes. Rendered lean-to behind front range has, in right side-wall, ground and upper-storey windows with two-light, six-paned wood casements. Between the two middle upper-storey windows of the front range is a stone plaque with segmental head, this being inscribed: BREWIN SCHOOL, PRESENTED WITH ENDOWMENT TO THE TIVERTON SCHOOL BOARD A.D. 1877. Interior: not inspected.
History: White's `Directory of Devonshire' described the school in these terms: `There is another large and handsome British School, in Elmore Street, built in 1848 by Ambrose Brewin, Esq; and entirely supported by him, for the education of about 100 boys and 50 girls, under a master, mistress and six pupil teachers.' Brewin was John Heathcoat's partner; his wife was Heathcoat's youngest daughter, Caroline. The cast-iron window-sills are characteristic of Heathcoat's housing in West Exe and were probably made in his foundry there. Elmore Street was the old name for Chapel Street.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 22 2012 10:33AM