HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89310
Name:38 and 38A Gold Street, Tiverton

Summary

Two shops with accommodation above, mid 19th century, shop front dated 1901.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 957 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485293

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHOP (Mid, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Wessex Archaeology, 2003, Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV345760.


Watts, M., 2008, The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton (Report - Survey). SDV340605.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Two shops with accommodation above. Mid 19th century; shop front dated 1901. Solid, rendered front. Slated roof. Red brick chimney, with rebuilt top, on each end wall. Exterior: three storeys. Two widely spaced windows wide. In ground storey a pair of wooden shop fronts, built to a single design. At each end, and in the middle, a pilaster-strip with shaped panel, upon which is a panelled bracket surmounted by a shaped block with acorn finial; an entablature with dentilled cornice runs between the brackets. On the two end brackets is carved the monogram HT, and on the centre one the date 1901. The end pilaster strips are also panelled on their outer sides. Each shop has a single display window with doorway adjoining the middle pilaster strip. Right-hand window replaced in late 20th century. Between the two shops, at the front, is a wooden partition panelled on both sides. Upper storeys have plain pilaster strips matching those on the shop fronts. In second storey, two wooden canted bay windows with swept pent roofs. Between and flanking the lights are pilasters; cornices round the tops of the bays, that to left dentilled and continued (without the dentils) across its half of the front, overlapping the pilasters. Right-hand window probably had a similar arrangement originally. Third-storey windows plain. All upper storey windows have two-paned sashes with a single upright glazing bar, except for the side sashes of the bays, which are plain. Interior: not inspected. History: it appears from the directories that this was originally a single shop. The occupant in 1902 was Francis Snow, grocer, and in 1908 Mrs Victoria Radford, milliner. The occupant of No.40 (next door) at both dates was William Hubert Thorne, grocer, although there is no evidence that he was responsible for the shop front.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV340605Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2008. The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton. 165/2008. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV345760Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2003. Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 54068.01. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4386 - Survey of The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton

Date Last Edited:Jun 22 2012 10:37AM