HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89329
Name:Brewins School, Bampton Street, Tiverton

Summary

Building originally an infants school, built in 1847 by Ambrose Brewin, John Heathcoat's partner and son-in-law. Recently used as a college and nursery.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 955 128
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485213

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (Built, XIX - 1847 AD to 1847 AD)

Full description

Google, 2012, Google Streetview (Website). SDV348799.

Building now shown as Bampton Street Nursery.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Nos.80, 82 AND 84 Bampton Street, East Devon College: Hairdressing and Beauty Centre.
College building, formerly a school. 1847. Red brick on a plinth of squared stone blocks; right rear wing rendered. Cast-iron window sills. Slated roof.
Materials: red brick chimneys at each end of ridge; another slightly off centre to right. Left-hand chimney has been reduced in height; that at right-hand end has entablature formed by projecting brick courses, and has been heightened in later red brick. Middle chimney has a good pot with panelled sides.
Plan: long front range with rooms at either side of a central through-passage; long rear wing to right, short one to left. Exterior: two storeys. Six windows with central doorway in ground storey. Four widely-spaced windows above. Raised, rendered band between the storeys. Doorway has rendered surround; slightly tilted, flat wooden hood on shaped brackets. Double plank doors. Windows have segmental gauged arches, those in ground storey containing six-paned sashes with horns, while those above have two-light casements with diagonally-set, intersecting `Tudor' glazing bars. The second windows from the left and right in the ground storey appear to have replaced former doorways. The original windows on either side of them have hoodmoulds composed of planks supported by wooden corbels; a similar feature appears on Heathcoat-built houses of about 1846 at Nos 1-10 John's Terrace, Wellbrook Street. Above the central door is a segmental-headed plaque with moulded frame. It is inscribed BREWIN SCHOOL PRESENTED WITH ENDOWMENT TO THE TIVERTON SCHOOL BOARD A.D. 1877. Rear wing to right has two tall mullioned-and-transomed windows on its inner face; the window at the front end is complete with diagonally-set, intersecting glazing bars, and a few of these remain in the window at the rear end. Similar upper-storey window in left rear wing. Interior: not inspected.
History: this was originally an infant school, built and supported by Ambrose Brewin, John Heathcoat's partner and son-in-law. In 1850 it was reputed to be attended by 100 children. Brewin's widow Caroline, handed over the school and another in Chapel street to the School Board in 1877, together with an endowment of £160 per annum for their maintenance. (White's Directory of Devon: 1850-: P.312; Harrod's Directory of Devonshire: 1878-: P.662).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348799Website: Google. 2012. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 22 2012 10:42AM