HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89340
Name:31 Bampton Street, Tiverton

Summary

Mid 19th century bank, now used as offices, with accommodation over. Three storey corner building with door to rounded corner.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 956 127
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 485207

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BANK (FINANCIAL) (XIX - 1860 AD to 1869 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Building shown as the National Provincial Bank of England.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Formerly Listed as: Bampton Street (East side) Nos.29, 31 and 33, 35.
Probably erected as a commercial building with accommodation over, now Local Authority offices. Circa 1860s. Mass wall construction, smooth-plastered; hipped, slated M-profile roof visible from rear; stacks with rendered shafts with horizontal pots.
Plan: corner building flanking a court, east of Bampton Street, paired with No.29. Door to rounded corner, second door opposite stair on Bampton Street elevation.
Exterior: three storeys. Four-window front to Bampton Street. Deep eaves, eaves moulded at junction with wall. Rounded, recessed front right corner. Ground floor bays divided by piers with chanelled rustication, supporting projecting cornice at first floor sill level. Doorway to left to stair has recessed two-panel door, plain, blind overlight and bootscraper. Corner doorway to right has a 20th century two-leaf door and plain overlight. Ground-floor window right is a tripartite sash with horns, two over one-pane in the centre and two-pane in the outer lights. Ground floor left is a two over one-pane sash with horns, the other windows are four-pane horned sashes. The left return is stuccoed and blocked out with two round-headed stair windows with margin panes. The right return is three windows wide and continues in the same style with a central doorway with pilasters with chanelled rustication. The outer ground-floor windows and first and second floor are two over one-pane sashes. Interior: not inspected, but may retain features of interest.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 11 2013 11:40AM