HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89362
Name:The Angel Hotel, Angel Hill, Tiverton

Summary

Former hotel, in existence in early 19th century, demolished early 20th century. Library built on site, adjacent to Town Hall.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 953 124
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOTEL (Earlier than, XIX - 1806 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Angel Hotel' shown.


Skinner, E., 1906-1907, French Prisoners in Tiverton from 1797-1811, 258 (Article in Serial). SDV349392.

There was an hotel called The Angel Hotel in Tiverton in 1806.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tiverton Town Trails, 66 (Article in Monograph). SDV352466.

Angel Hill takes its name from the Angel Hotel, a former posting house, which stood where the War Memorial library does today.


2012, http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Tiverton/memoriesofTivertontravelbeforethetrainscame.htm (Website). SDV349396.

'There were two mail-coaches, one having its headquarters at the Angel hotel. The London Mail started from the Angel and proceeded by stages to Wellington, Taunton and Bridgewater, where another coach awaited the passengers.' Photograph shows the hotel in the late 19th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

The Tiverton War Memorial scheme was inaugurated in April 1919. The Angel Hotel, which formerly occupied this site, was acquired and opened as a library on 11 November 1920. An appeal was then launched to raise £11,000 for a rebuilding. A watercolour of the proposed building was prepared by Mr Ogden, headmaster of the School of Art, who seems to have influenced its design; it was intended to match the early 17th century Chilcott's School and the Great House of St George in St Peter Street. Demolition of the former Angel Hotel (which projected further into the road than the present building) began on New Year's day, 1928.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349392Article in Serial: Skinner, E.. 1906-1907. French Prisoners in Tiverton from 1797-1811. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 4. Unknown. 258.
SDV349396Website: 2012. http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Tiverton/memoriesofTivertontravelbeforethetrainscame.htm. www.devonheritage.org. Printout.
SDV352466Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tiverton Town Trails. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 66.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4408 - Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Redevelopment in St Andrew Street, Tiverton, Devon

Date Last Edited:Jul 27 2015 12:43PM