HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV89408
Name:Elm House and 5 Rackenford Road, Tiverton

Summary

Detached house, now two dwelling, mid 19th century. Complex plan, probably resulting from two or more phases of building.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 947 132
Map Sheet:SS91SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Elm Cottage' shown.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Detached house, now two dwellings. Mid 19th century. Solid rendered walls. Slated roof. Rendered chimney centrally placed on ridge of front (south) range. Plan: complex, probably resulting from two or more phases of building. Small oblong block on south with short rear wing. Further small blocks project from this on the left and right sides, with two more blocks behind that. Exterior: two storeys. Front block is two windows wide; wing (recessed} at either side, two windows to left, one to right. Windows have six or eight-paned sashes; triple-sashed window in ground storey of wing to right. Glazed verandah with patterned iron uprights across ground storey of front block. Interior: not inspected. History: the house is not shown on the tithe map of 1842, but an Elm Cottage is included in the 1851 census return in close proximity to the Roman Catholic Chapel, the toll house and Loughborough. In 1861 the occupant was Stephen Fisher, cashier, with his wife, five children and three young female servants. He seems to have been a person of some standing. In 1871 one son was an undergraduate at Balllol College, Oxford, and another a medical student; In 1881 he was described as chief accountant at the lace factory.
No8, Higher Loughborough, which is attached to this building, is not included in this list entry.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 22 2012 11:01AM