HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV90060
Name:Langham House, including Gateway adjoining on north, Ashsprington


Mid 19th century house, formerly a Parish school and Schoolmaster's house, within the Parish of Ashprington.


Grid Reference:SX 818 571
Map Sheet:SX85NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAshprington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishASHPRINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX to XXI - 1880 AD to 2018 AD (Pre))

Full description

Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Parish School and integral school master's house, converted into one house. Mid 19th century; it was built either in 1847 (Whites Directory of 1850) or circa 1865 (Kelly's Directory of 1902), see below. Dressed shale rubble with local lime- stone quoins and chamfered high plinth. Bath stone window dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with gabled ends with decorative wooden bargeboards. The right hand gable end has finial replaced. The left hand end has projecting stack rising through the gable and with a weathered cap. A rendered lateral stack at the back with set-offs. 2 small metal ventilators on the ridge, only the right had retains its conical cap. Plan: A 4-bay open-hall school room heated from a rear lateral stack and entered from a large front porch; the fifth bay at the left hand end was the school-master's accommodation; it was 2 storeys with a gable end stack. There is a basement below the left had end of the building where the ground level is much lower. The open hall has been extended into the schoolmaster's accommodation by the removal of the partition and floor at this end and another partition has been inserted dividing the hall into 2 bays at the left end and 3 bays at the right end. In the late 20th century a single storey flat roofed addition has been built at the rear, probably over the playground. Exterior: Single storey hall with a basement under the left hand end; the left hand end was originally floored with a first floor room in the attic. Asymmetrical 4-window range of 2 and 3-light windows with 2-centred headed lights and diamonds-shaped leaded panes. To the right of centre a large projecting gabled porch with ornate bargeboards with finial and pendant, a lancet on the front and a chamfered 4-centred arch doorway on the right had side with a 19th century plank door; the left had side of the porch has a small quatrefoil window. The ground at the left hand end is much lower and here there are window openings in the basement with chamfered surrounds. The window above at the left hand end is of 2 lights and above that a gabled dormers with ornate bargeboards and casement with leaded panes. The right hand north gable end has a stone 2-light 4-centred arch window with Y-tracery and leaded panes. The rear elevation has a lateral stack to the left of centre and 3 large segmented headed window openings, the right had with a 12-pane sash, the others are 20th century casements. Below is a flat-roofed single storey 20th century addition which was probably built over the playground. Adjoining the right hand (north) end a short section of wall with a doorway to the playground at the rear; The doorway has a chamfered 4-centred arch and a boarded door. Interior: A 5-bay roof, its chamfered principal rafters have curved feet forming Tudor-shaped arches like raised cruck trusses, on moulded corbels. The left hand bay was originally separated by a partition and floored forming the 2-storey schoolmaster's house. This partition and floor have been removed and another wooden partition inserted separating the 2 left hand end bays. Note: The uncertainty about the correct date of the school is because White's Directory of 1850 states that the parish school is "a neat building in Elizabethan style erected 1847 by Richard Durant" of Sharpham House, whereas Kelly's Directory of 1902 maintains it was built of material from the church house which was demolished in 1865. The date 1847 is more likely on stylistic grounds and there is no sign of reused dressed stone. Furthermore White refers to the church house in the same 1850 edition, therefore the two buildings must have coexisted.

South Hams District Council, Unknown, Ashprington Conservation Area Appraisal (Report - non-specific). SDV352046.

The former Parish School and Schoolmaster's House now one house. Probably built 1847 by Sir Richard Durant of Sharpham.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV352046Report - non-specific: South Hams District Council. Unknown. Ashprington Conservation Area Appraisal. South Hams District Council. A2 Folded + Digital.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 27 2018 4:04PM