HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV90312
Name:The Old Ticket Office, steps, walls and adjoning railings, The Lamb, Totnes

Summary

A late 19th century, stone rubble building with granite faced steps, stone rubble walls and iron railings.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 799 602
Map Sheet:SX76SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTotnes
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishTOTNES

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BOOKING OFFICE (XIX to XX - 1890 AD to 1904 AD (Between))
  • MARKET HOUSE (XIX to XX - 1890 AD to 1904 AD (Between))
  • RAILINGS (XIX to XX - 1890 AD to 1904 AD (Between))
  • STEPS (XIX to XX - 1890 AD to 1904 AD (Between))
  • WALL (XIX to XX - 1890 AD to 1904 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The building, steps and wall are marked.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

'The Old Ticket Office' including steps, wall and adjoining railings to the east.

Former market house, locally known as the 'Old Ticket Office'. Late 19th century. Stone rubble with red brick dressings. Pyramidical tiled roof with terracotta finial. Red brick chimney at south west corner with bracketed cornice and louvre pot. Plan - 1 square room. Exterior: 1 storey. Doorway on the west side (facing Sheep Market), window in each of the other 3 sides. All have segmental headed ovolo moulded red brick surrounds. At the base of north wall (facing the Lamb) is a similar round-arched recess containing a public tap, this being protected by an iron cage. On the east side is a yellow terracotta platform or seat flanked on the left by a stone pier with red brick dressings. Above is a wooden canopy with shaped fringe; this is continued round the south side but without the fringe. Also on the south side is a yellow brick pavement. On the east, the building is approached from Leechwell Street by a long, shallow flight of granite faced steps. At either side, a stone rubble wall. At the top of the left side a chamfered red brick pier with bracketed cap. At bottom of right side, an old gate post made of a single piece of granite. Boundary wall to Leechwell Street of squared limestone rubble. Iron railing on top with fleur-de-lis finials to the uprights, this continuing up the left side of the steps. The sheep market is believed to have been established on this site in 1677, but the 1:500 Ordnance Survey map of 1887 shows a house on the Leechwell Street frontage. Presumably, this was demolished later in 19th century and the market house built on what had been its garden.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109223 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 5 2013 11:43AM