HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9090
Name:Gatcombe House

Summary

Country house divided into four tenements, 16th century house altered in the 17th, 18th, early and mid 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 821 624
Map Sheet:SX86SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLittlehempston
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishLITTLEHEMPSTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX86SW/37

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (XVI to XX - 1501 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV169963.

Kelly/directory of devonshire/(1910)319.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV169964.

Osa=sx86sw4.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV169965.

Des=green lanes in devon project list(1986)/in smr.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Gatcombe house remains of barton. Vis=-/-/1909 (kelly). An ancient mansion rebuilt by the late c. Cornish esq. Was the birthplace in 1625 of zachary bogan m. A. Of corpus christie college oxford a learned divine. Vis=17/8/1951(os) house originally built in tudor times and partly rebuilt in 18th century by the cornish family. The front - west end is georgian and the remainder of the house 16th century partly remodelled at a later date. There is a tablet in the garden wall south of the house inscribed "w. B.1687" no doubt this refers to one of the bogan family (os).


Clark, J., 2013, Gatcombe House (Un-published). SDV357553.

A neat white rendered country house (now subdivided into four tenements) built around four sides of a courtyard. . It incorporates work from the late Tudor period onwards.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Country house divided into four tenements. Circa C16 house altered in C17, C18 and early and mid C19. Stone rubble mostly plastered. Slate roofs. Built around four sides of a small courtyard. Two storeys. The C16 house is on the south side but it is not clearly recognisable, although it contains the former hall. The south elevation has a gable to the right with a double sash on the ground floor and a sash above with a moulded wooden label. Similar label over sash in wing projection to right (south-east). At the centre of the south range, a wide gabled projection externally appears early C19, contains the music room which is of C18, and is three bays with tall sash windows. To left an early C19 conservatory with pilasters and large sashes. The west front was added in circa 1830. Stuccoed with slate hipped roof with bracketed oversailing eaves. Two storeys. Symmetrical 2:3:2 bay front with sash windows complete with glazing bars. Centre advanced with pediment and two orders of pilasters, Doric with Ionic above. Niches either side of centre first floor window and porte cochere with four columns supporting a Doric entablature. The other north and east elevations are asymmetrical and have later accretions. On the east side of the south-east range an old nail-studded plank door. Interior: No 2's former music room has fine C18 plaster ceiling, the oval centrepiece depicting Mars riding an eagle within a sunburst, and musical instruments and implements of war in the corners and a moulded modillion cornice. No 3 has room with C17 moulded plaster ceiling in three compartments with moulded oval panels. First floor plaster vaulted ceiling in upper part of former hall, with C17 geometric moulded plasterwork. The arched principals of the hall roof have been plastered over. No 4 at east end of the hall has moulded granite fireplace in first floor room, three moulded plaster shields in lst floor passage and fine early C18 staircase with three turned balusters per tread and moulded handrail ramped up to fluted column newels. Nos 1 and 2, the circa 1830 addition to west, has moulded plasterwork and niche in hall with fantail dove in the arched head. Gatcombe House was a Domesday Manor. Richard Fortescue sold it to William Bogan (Mayor of Totnes) in 1542. His son married Prothesy Bodley, sister of Sir Thomas Bodley of the Bodleian Library. The west front was added circa 1830 by the Cornish family. In the garden wall adjoining south east a reset tablet inscribed "W.B.1687".

Sources / Further Reading

SDV169963Migrated Record:
SDV169964Migrated Record:
SDV169965Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109294 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV357553Un-published: Clark, J.. 2013. Gatcombe House. Devon Local Register of Parks and Gardens of Local Historic Interest. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV108709Related to: Gatcombe Park (Park/Garden)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 11 2014 2:29PM