HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9093
Name:Conduit, South Street, Totnes

Summary

The only surviving conduit of the town's 16th century water supply, set in a rectangular recess in the north-western corner of 72 South Street, Totnes.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 799 604
Map Sheet:SX76SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTotnes
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishTOTNES

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX86SW/40/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CONDUIT (XVII to XVIII - 1607 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX86SW8 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV350469.


Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

The alcove is clearly shown on the Ordnance Survey Town map of 1855-1895.


Department of Environment, 1978, Totnes, 75 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV342722.

Dated 16/03/1978. Medieval conduit.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 874 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Visit on 16/08/1951 records a conduit marked by a small alcove in the wall of the corner of the house at the junction of High Street and South Street in which is set a fawcet protected by a tiny ornamental iron railing. Above the alcove there is a brass plaque set in a frame of wood. The plaque which is obviously old states:- "this conduit was erected out of a garifte of twentye pound given by Robert Babbett deceased toward ye conducting of the water in leade and was pformed by Thomas Smythe of this town merchant. Ano 1607".


Trueman, M., 1999-2000, Monuments Protection Programme Stage 3 Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV349416.

A visit on 17/03/2000 records that this is apparently the only surviving conduit of the town's 16th century water supply. Set in a rectangular recess with upper shuttered opening and iron latch. Below this a single tap with iron guard (twisted square rods). Square framed plaque above recess states "this conduit was erected out of a gift of thirtye pounds given by Robert Babett 1607".


Google, 2012, Google Streetview (Website). SDV348799.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 874.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV342722List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1978. Totnes. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 75.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #109297 ]
SDV348799Website: Google. 2012. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.
SDV349416Report - Assessment: Trueman, M.. 1999-2000. Monuments Protection Programme Stage 3 Assessment. English Heritage. Unknown.
SDV350469Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX86SW8. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 5 2014 1:15PM