HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV9117
Name:St. Bartholomew's Parish Church, East Ogwell

Summary

Parish church, 13th century, greatly enlarged and altered in the 15th and early 16th century. 'Golgotha' chapel added in 1633. Restored 1884-5.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 838 700
Map Sheet:SX87SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishOgwell
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST OGWELL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5127
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SW/6
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 84285

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIII to XIX - 1201 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

SWANTON, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298908.

Parish church st. Bartholomew.14th century cruciform building.15th century chancel screen is a square-headed style and a jacobean screen spans the tower arch.14th century font. An elaborate canopied elizabethan altar tomb contains the remains of richard reynell, a former sheriff of devon, and his lady. Building consists of main aisle and chancel, north aisle extending whole length of the church, on the south side, a porch, transept, and an annexe. Font octagonal, no decoration. Bells: a) banded and beaded, no inscription, 559mm in diameter. B) inscribed ave maria in lombardic characters, 610mm in diameter. C) inscribed voce me a viva depello cuncta coniva, 686mm in diameter. Fireplace with flue in south porch. Piscinas: a) south wall of chancel, b) south wall of reynell chantry, c) east wall of north aisle, under a cinquefoil arch, shelf above it. Arches separating north aisle from nave. Sculptured capitals. Reynell chantry: window in south wall with arms of reynell; burden; stighull; thorber; reynell; bassingbourne; stighuss; malston. Tomb under an arch, over which is a pediment, supported on two columns. A number of flatstones. Tower and chancel probably early english, n. Aisle has piers of perpendicular style. Screens, plate, and monument described (pevsner). Author notes the fireplace in the south porch. Some restoration has been carried out on it. Its original purpose may have been ritualistic (clarke). Archaeological potential noted (swanton).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298910.

Des=delderfield, e. /express and echo/12.2.1977.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298911.

Adams, m. /tda/32(1900)229-236/churches and manors of east and west ogwell.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298912.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)126.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298913.

Cresswell, b. F. /jbaa/33(1927)160/devonshire churches: the buildings and builders.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298914.

Cornelius, c. F. /tda/78(1946)123-152/parish churches within ten miles of newton abbot.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298915.

Cornelius, c. F. /tda/79(1947)81-89/church fittings.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298916.

Cornelius, c. F. /tda/83(1951)217-234/effigies and memorials.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298917.

Thompson, a. H. /arch. J. /70(1913)458,475,478/church architecture in devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298918.

Clarke, k. M. /dcnq/12(1922-1923)1,2,70 pl. /porch fireplaces in devon churches.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298919.

Swanton, m. In dcc/archaeology of the devon landscape/(1980),82-83,plan/ church archaeology in devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV298920.

Doe/hhr:ogwell/(15/10/1984)4.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326587.

Church of st. Bartholomew. C13 greatly enlarged and altered c15 and early c16. 'golgotha' chapel added for sir richard reynell in 1633. Restored 1884-5 by r. M. Fulford of exeter. Stone, with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle running full length of nave and chancel, south transept with golgotha chapel abutting it on east, west tower, south porch. C20 boiler house on north side. See doe list for full details (doe).


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV298908Migrated Record: SWANTON.
SDV298910Migrated Record:
SDV298911Migrated Record:
SDV298912Migrated Record:
SDV298913Migrated Record:
SDV298914Migrated Record:
SDV298915Migrated Record:
SDV298916Migrated Record:
SDV298917Migrated Record:
SDV298918Migrated Record:
SDV298919Migrated Record:
SDV298920Migrated Record:
SDV326587Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #109327 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV104331Parent of: War Memorial in St. Bartholemew's Church (Monument)
MDV86518Parent of: World War II Memorial, St Bartholemew's Church (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 2:10PM